Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

What 35mm should i get

I need a 35mm for a b&w class i am taking. What is a good old school Canon that would be solid, classy, and around oh...$100?

Re: What 35mm should i get

You might get an AE-1 on e-bay close to that price. Get one with a 50mm lens...
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Check this one out. I have used an AE-1 before it's a great camera...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-AE-1-PROGR...QQcmdZViewItem
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

My first thought was also the AE-1. I bought one on ebay a few years back and used it for my photography class. I loved it. Some of the old Canonet rangefinders are pretty classy too, although I have never used one. I saw one at an antique store a couple years ago for about $30, but I never bought it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I have two QL-17 Rangefinders, They are great little cameras but if you get one you will most likely have to work on it some before you can use it. Light seals and shutter cleanings. Batteries are hard to find and the metering system will most likely be off slightly because the newer batteries are a slightly different voltage...
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

I've got the A1 and love it! But it will probably be more than you are willing to spend.

The AE-1 is a great camera too. Just be carefull of buying "as is" since you may need to have the camera refurbished to get it working right. Might break the budget if you have to have that done.

I got mine at a pawnshop 6 years ago and had it refurbished at a local camera store for $130. It's been working great ever since.

Good luck with your find.

Tim
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Thanks for the coments, looks like an AE-1 is somthing i should look at. I wish i got to that first ebay listing sooner, that looked like a nice example for me. i am sure there will be more, thanks again.

I took a quick glance at KEH's inventory of Canon bodies, and they have AE-1, AE-1 Program and A-1 bodies all for under $100. I think I'd go for the A-1 or AE-1 Program simply for the nicer viewfinder. Not that the AE-1 is bad, just that the information in the viewfinder is geared towards shooting it in shutter priority AE rather than manual exposure.

The only real issue I have with Canons is, the foam they use at the top of the mirror box eventually deteriorates into a disgusting sticky mess. One shot with that foam getting all over your camera's mirror can ruin your whole day. Canonet light seals are the same stuff.

Does it have to be a manual focus Canon? There are some really good deals on Canon EOS, Minolta, Nikon and Olympus cameras, too.

I have always liked and used the Minolta XD11. Some are not sure whether it is the Leica R4 branded as a Minolta or that the Leica R4 is a Leica branded Minolta XD11. The two companies had a partnership going at one point.

Ronnoco

Hey Cits.
    I don't want this to look as a Span but I have a really nice set up, that for what you are looking for it may be just perfect.
    Is a Nikon N2000 camera with a Nikon Nikkor 50mm AI-s F:1.4 lens and a Nikon MC-12A remote shooter.
    http://classifieds.photographyreview...oduct=45&cat=3
    Last edited by EastCoastHucker; 01-02-2007 at 09:57 AM.
    cheers
    Juanjo

wanna see photos !

Thread Information