Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Want Less expensive camera that will survive heat and water

Does anybody have any recommendations for cameras under $500 that could survive trips to places like Egypt, the Galapagos, etc.? I often travel in the middle of nowhere or in places where there are no stores nearby. That means no replacement cameras, no disposable cameras, and no buying more batteries. On my last few trips, my cameras died mid-trip. I need something rugged that can potentially get wet and especially, is heat-resistant. Egypt was near 120 degrees F in the shade and while shooting my camera was out in the sunlight, probably for hours at a time. I found one recommendation in this forum for the Canon 40D, but it runs about $1200. If you have personal experience using cameras in these types of conditions, please suggest anything less expensive that you have tried.

Re: Want Less expensive camera that will survive heat and water

There are three different cameras that come to mind. 1) Pentax Optio WG-1 (w series) 2) Olympus TG-810, and 3) Fujifilm FinePix XP30 (XP series)

Any of these are good cameras, I know there are others but these are the ones which I know off the top.

I would also purchase an solar charger like this: Sunpak Dual Panel Solar Charger Single Panel 2800mAh - it's listed for $30.00 on the web, if you will be off the grid for a long time.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

I would look for a nice used Olympus E1. They have came way down in price and is a pro body that can stand abuse. I would also look for an Olympus 14-54mm. You can pick them up used for around $300.00. That would be a rugged combo.
    Old technology but a Kodak sensor that is stellar.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by travelerda
    I found one recommendation in this forum for the Canon 40D, but it runs about $1200. If you have personal experience using cameras in these types of conditions, please suggest anything less expensive that you have tried.
    What camera did you have before?

Since you mentioned the Canon EOS 40D I will assume that you want a digital SLR. The 40D is a few generations old so it won't cost you $1200. I checked eBay and they're going for well under $1000 with a lens. The 40D would be a good choice, as would the Olympus E-1 that Greg mentioned. Both are weather-sealed and can take a bit of rain or splashing, although I would avoid salt water, anyway. For what it's worth, I use all kinds of cameras in all kinds of conditions, including rain and in the desert. I don't baby them and I've only had one DSLR fail and it was an entry-level camera that I had out in the rain all day. They can take a lot more than most people realize.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I always have a film camera that doesn't need batteries and some film just in case. But John is right. I had an Olympus 510 that really took some abuse. I gave it to a fireman that really abused it as well.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information