Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    More eagerness than skills.. rzozaya1969's Avatar

Utrapod II or Gorillapod

I do a lot of mountaing biking, and I'm intrested in a 3pod that I can take with me. I was looking at the Ultrapod II which sounds pretty good and small, suitable for what I want. But when I entered the REI site, I also saw the Gorillapod, which sounds even better. But, I just don't know if someone has had experience with either of those. What concernes me about the gorillapod is that I don't know if the use would cause the component to come loose by use.

Here's a pic of the two tripods I'm looking at, any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Utrapod II or Gorillapod-gorila.jpg  

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Utrapod II or Gorillapod

Hmm I have the Ultrapod II that I take backpacking with me. I found that it is quite versatile but it is good for compact digicams only. I use a small SLR but that is too much for it to handle. I need to find another lightweight solution for backpacking but until I find something the Ultrapod will have to do. Sorry no experience with the Gorillapod.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I googled the gorillapod and see in advertising shots that it set up with as slr but when i added review to it, the reviews say an slr is too much for it.
    There is also one called the bottle pod which is small, seems to work well but you'll need a bottle.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I keep an ultra pod ll in my camera bag, but it's way to small for my current gear. It works fine for a P&S tho. Both pods apear to be pretty flexible. The ultra pod with it's ball type head, and the gorillapod with it's adjustable legs. Having used the ultra pod, I would be more inclined to try the gorillapod. I think I would prefer the versatility of the flexible legs over the ultra pods head.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

http://www.minitripods.com/

Anything here that might be of use?

WesternGuy

More eagerness than skills.. rzozaya1969's Avatar

Without having seen one of this, does anyone have an idea if they would fit my backpack? I think that it could, since I have a large one (well, large for mountain bike).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Utrapod II or Gorillapod-hawg.jpg  

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Yes should fit with plenty of room left over. I have that same pack (well, an older generation of it) and I've crammed tons of stuff in there.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

my dad has an ultrapod and it's a pretty decent pod. Not good for DSLR's as stated, but good for point and shoots. I used a 1d with a 28-80mm and a 430ex on it the other day. It didn't do too well. and yes, as said, it shoudl easily fit in the bag. though the gorillapod looks attractive for situations when you don't have level ground to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    I do a lot of mountaing biking, and I'm intrested in a 3pod that I can take with me. I was looking at the Ultrapod II which sounds pretty good and small, suitable for what I want. But when I entered the REI site, I also saw the Gorillapod, which sounds even better. But, I just don't know if someone has had experience with either of those. What concernes me about the gorillapod is that I don't know if the use would cause the component to come loose by use.

Here's a pic of the two tripods I'm looking at, any ideas?
    I got this a long time ago. I don't know if they are still being made. If you have a Machinest friend they could make you one. I did get it from REI in the late sixty's. It also has a lag screw in it. I had a 4 by 5 view camera on it. Not really stable but it worked.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

TTT
    Help.

That thing looks awesome.

Thread Information