Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Using a Reflector for Outdoor Portraits

I'm looking for advice on how to use a reflector for outdoor available-light portraits.

I recently got a 42" 5-in-1 reflector, but I haven't used it yet. I'm planning to offer some friends free portraits that they can use for Mother's Day gifts, if they will serve as guinea pigs for me. I'm very new to portraits. Everything I've read about lighting involves a studio lighting set up with a reflector for fill, but I don't think the outdoor diffused light (late afternoon shade) will be as directional as studio lighting. Am I right about that? So, should I just use the reflector to lighten the shadows under the eyes, nose and chin? Should it be off to one side? Should it be high, low, or even with the face? I'm guessing the reflector would also be my source for catchlights in the eyes?

For exposure, should I take an incident reading near the face, with the reflector in place? Or, should I just trust my N75?...maybe with bracketing?

I'll be using B&W film, if that matters.

I know this is a lot of questions, but I'm open to any portrait advice you're willing to give me. Thanks for your help!

Paul

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

An inexact scinece...

Paul, it should be fun learning to use your reflector. Remember, what you see is what you get...

The thing you don't want is for the reflector to overpower your other light sources. The effect should be subtle. If you can look at a shot and instantly know that a reflector was used, that means it wasn't used correctly.

This happens more often with the metalic surfaces (gold, silver). They can actually amplify the existing light and cause an unnatural-looking color shift to large areas of your shot. When they're focused on skin, it may be even more obvious.

Even shooting b&w, the metalic or specular quality may be noticable and distracting...

I find the soft white surface the best for portraits. Simply position it slightly under and to the side of your subject, and aim it to see the different results. You want it to open up darker areas and even out the lighting ratio.

Depending on their size and distance away, reflectors will add to a subject's catchlights, but again that effect is more subtle than obvious...

BTW, I'm curious. Are you traveling to take these picutres? Just kidding, making reference to the "hot" travel discussion in VF...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Using a Reflector for Outdoor Portraits

Thanks for all the great tips, Steve!

What I've learned so far:
    Use sparingly, for subtle results.
    Should probably stick to white surface at first.
    Position slightly below subject.

Is there anything I should know about which side to put the reflector on? Short side or broad side? Since the diffused light outdoors will probably be fairly even on both sides, I'm not sure what to do?

I know the best thing to do is experiment, but I've read a lot about interacting with the subject, and everyone says to show confidence so the subject is more comfortable and relaxed. I feel like that's kind of a catch-22 when you are first starting out and trying to experiment. So, I'm trying to find a balance between experimenting and appearing knowledgable and confident. I'll be experimenting with posing too. That's what worries me the most.

We will probably travel around town to take these photos, but since the point is to capture the person, I don't think it qualifies as Travel photography. Sorry.

Paul

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

"Since the diffused light outdoors will probably be fairly even on both sides, I'm not sure what to do?..."

Well, sounds like you may not even need one. Nothing that says you have to use a reflector. It's really meant to help you handle uneven lighting to make it more balanced...

"I know the best thing to do is experiment, but I've read a lot about interacting with the subject, and everyone says to show confidence so the subject is more comfortable and relaxed. I feel like that's kind of a catch-22 when you are first starting out and trying to experiment..."

Well, what you should do is make it clear you're experimenting a bit, trying things to learn and improve your craft, which in the end will make a better picture and (hopefully) make the subject look better.

Heck, even veteran shooters keep trying to get better. Nothing wrong with making your subject aware of that...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

That's a nice write-up Steve.

I've never used a reflector before... But, you bet. I'm now an expert!
    Cheers,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Thanks again, Steve!

This is very helpful. Now, if I can just get some volunteers...

Paul

Very helpful post from Steve - he knows a lot more about this than I do. I'll add one thing just for learning how they work:

To really see what a reflector will do, go outside during bright mid-day sun. Have someone stand in place and move the reflector around to see what effect it will have. You wouldn't normally want to shoot in these conditions but it's a lot easier to see what the reflector is doing. Might not be bad to shoot a few frames while doing this just to see how different the effect can look on film than to your eye, especially in this extreme example.

Thread Information