Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Using Olympus SP-800UZ for the first time?

Help ...

Just opened the box to find that charging of the included battery and initial set up requires the camera be connected to a Windows pc computer. Funny how that step about hooking up to a Windows pc slipped right by the salesman. I have a Mac computer, and no immediate access to a pc. Now What?

Any comments would be extremely helpful at this juncture!

Re: Using Olympus SP-800UZ for the first time?

Check page 12 of the manual. You can charge the camera without being plugged to a PC. But the adapter is required but should have been included.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Regarding charging the camera, I tried it both ways; using the a/c adapter & usb cable, both do the job. Now that the battery is charged up, I'd like to use the camera, but the instructions state that initially, I should connect to a windows pc and follow prompts for camera setup. That where my problems begin, I don't have a windows pc, and instead have Mac computers.
    Are there any other options?

Smile Re: Using Olympus SP-800UZ for the first time?

FYI:
    I finally got the answer regarding whether or not you need a windows pc for initial set up and the answer is YES. Currently there is no available software to initially program the SP-800UZ using a Mac.
    Olympus camera software installation requires Windows XP or Vista or Windows 7 to program the camera initially and also the computer to allow updates to the camera software which is windows based and for updates on the photo editing program bundled with the camera.
    Afterwards, I went to the Olympus support site and found a Mac based photo editing program similar to the (ib) program bundled for windows. The Mac program can only be used after the fact though(after initially programming the camera) and I would imagine there are differences including the ability to update the camera software. I found a friend who lent me the use of a windows pc earlier this afternoon and I programmed the camera. There is also an operating manual in pdf form which I downloaded and currently reading how to adjust the settings on the camera and reading how to use it. This camera is technically superior to my aged Kodak, and it will definitely require practice. I look forward to it.

Post in error - deleted
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information