Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Help with slide film!

Well, I am going to try a couple rolls of slide film, just to see what happens. Any tips or hints I shoud know about? I was going to try velvia 100, since I hear 50 is a bit contrasty and a bit more orangy red. Any tips would be great!

Fuji answer

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoGimp
    Well, I am going to try a couple rolls of slide film, just to see what happens. Any tips or hints I shoud know about? I was going to try velvia 100, since I hear 50 is a bit contrasty and a bit more orangy red. Any tips would be great!
    Wow nobody answered this one. I suppose I'll have to step in.

You have to try Velvia 50. This is such a striking, excessive film that you can't miss it. Either it fits in with your way of viewing the world or it doesn't.

I think you also have to try Provia 100F. I find this is a much more forgiving film, useful to get the job done while still packing a punch.

I hope you're thinking of using these films on landscapes or graphical subjects, in good light (i.e. not around mid-day). For doing pictures of people I usually use negative film (the professional kind intended for portraits).

Charles

More slide help

Hi,

I really enjoy Velvia 50 and if you see my travel pictures on my website, most of them are Velvia 50. I do like Velvia 100, but Provia 100 is very very good, easier to scan, and no grain what-so-ever.

Velvia 50, is a hate it or love it. I love it.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Velvia is definately a love-hate film. Shoot people with it in the middle of the day under bright sun and you'll hate it, that's for sure. This film is made for really great light in low contrast situations like the time around sunrises and sunsets. Heavy overcast skies with alot of definition in the clouds is another good time to use it. Some people rate it at 40, some at 50, try both and see what you think. Personally I wasn't real impressed with Velvia 100F - I stick with Provia 100F which isn't bad for people shots.

Slide film is a little tougher to meter correctly - since the slide (the actual film) is the end product. When shooting with neg film, the lab can adjust color/contrast/lightness.

http://www.lorencrannell.com/ForSale/SA_0002_final.JPG

You can still shoot Velvia at anytime, the picture above was taken at high-noon in very hot weather. I only brought Velvia 50 and Provia 400 (evening). Of course I had a graduated ND filter (2 stops) so I could hold back the sunlight and not blow out the shadows.

If you are trying slide film for the first time, bracket, and use Provia 100, Astia 100, or even Sensia 100. All of those have a higher degree of flexibility.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Thread Information