Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Two-Parter

Two-Parter

Hey all,
    total newbie here and I have two questions. First, I think I have dust inside my lens; I have a casio exilim 7.2 mgp point and shoot. I just read another thread stating that this could in fact be a dirty sensor? or is that something that only plague's SLRs? I thought an example might be handy, so here it is.

Second, I'm headed to Dublin in April for about 5 days, and I want to take more than just my little point and shoot. I was thinking about upgrading to something a little more robust. I used to have a Canon EOS 35mm a long time ago, so I'm no stranger to interchangeable lenses and filters and such, but I'm also not sure I want to mess with all that again too much baggage. My father just bought a P80 Nikon, which I'm very fond of; but was hoping for a little advice.

Thanks!
    ~5yb

Re: Two-Parter

Is your sample image just a part of the whole shot? I'm trying to figure out how big that piece of "something" is. Usually this is a problem that affects DSLR's because the lenses can be changed, and that opens up the possibility of getting dirt on the sensor. But it's not impossible with a non-interchangeable lens camera either.

I haven't kept up with all of the different cameras out there - that would be a full time job! Newer is generally better, and I think the P80 just came out. Looks like a nice camera but it's getting close to small DSLR size - a lot closer to that then pocket-sized anyway. A D50 (or other brand's equivalent) will cost more, but I'm sure you'd gain some flexibility with it too. You'd also get a much better optical viewfinder.

You can surf around that album and see that piece of dirt several times; the dirt is most prevalent in bright light like that in those photos, though I have seen it in lower light shots as well. The dirt has changed in the time since I took those shots, though it is still there. Would the recommendation be then to return it to Casio to get them to fix? or should I look for a local option?

If you have a good local shop, you might want to ask them to look at it - especially if you happened to buy it there. If they're able to do something easily to fix it, it might be nice to repay the favor buy picking up a memory card or something. Good to have those kind of places around! Since you say it's moving, I'd do that before just shipping it off.

looks like hair or fiber of some kind to me. I had a piece of horse hair in my D70 and it looked just like it.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information