Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Trying to find out what kind of camera this is...Help appreciated.

Hey everyone!

Firstly, let me emphasize the fact that I know absolutely nothing about cameras or photography. I am merely an adoring wife who wants to buy her husband a gift that he mentioned he would like. Unfortunately, at the time he was telling me the details of this camera, I was pretty much zoning out and reading a magazine. (Yes, women do it too.) So now that it is time for me to step up to the plate and prove how women truly are superior listeners and decidedly more considerate, I need you guys to help me figure out what he was asking for based on the very vague details I remember him mentioning. (It was a reaaaaaallly good magazine.)

It's some sort of specialty camera. Maybe even more gadgety than camera-y.
    Apparently, it would be cool to have in an airplane for some reason. He is a pilot, and he was talking about how there was one of these cameras in the lost and found box at the flight club we rent aircraft from.
    He said the price was about 150 bucks. (Of course I remember the price, haha)
    I think it had multiple words in the name.. maybe kind of technical sounding?

I know this is pretty much the worst description ever, but I know you guys can come through for me.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Trying to find out what kind of camera this is...Help appreciated.

Sounds like he was describing a gift card to a camera store. What you described could be just about any point and shoot digicam on the market. Unless you know exactly what he wants, I would get a gift card and let him pick it out. They aren't always as fun to give as an actual gift but it's better than getting the wrong thing.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Your post gave me a smile so thank you for that!
    You may also like to know that probably 50% of our members are female.

The only idea I can think of to help is to maybe call that flight club and see if someone knows what camera it was. How long ago was it in the lost and found?
    Another thing you could do is pick up a magazine and while leafing through it in the presence of your fine manly husband, open an ad for a camera and say, "Is this the one you wanted, honey?".
    Other than that the gift card Mike suggested is the only thing I can think of.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by RegkinsOrDie
    So now that it is time for me to step up to the plate and prove how women truly are superior listeners and decidedly more considerate, I need you guys to help me figure out...
    Nope. Not going to do it!

I think Mike has a good suggestion, but the one thing that crossed my mind isn't likely to be found in a camera store. It's a GoPro Hero Wide which you can buy directly from them here, and it's about the amount of money you mention. Lots of cool things you can do with it and it certainly is a specialty item - but I have no idea if this is it (and there are other versions of it)...

Tell you what, buy it and if he doesn't like it I'll put it to good use.

Hey that looks cool. I'm not doing wild sports at my age anymore but I'm sure I could think of something to use it for.
    Keep Shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Nope. Not going to do it!

I think Mike has a good suggestion, but the one thing that crossed my mind isn't likely to be found in a camera store. It's a GoPro Hero Wide which you can buy directly from them here, and it's about the amount of money you mention. Lots of cool things you can do with it and it certainly is a specialty item - but I have no idea if this is it (and there are other versions of it)...

Tell you what, buy it and if he doesn't like it I'll put it to good use.

That's IT!!!! THANK YOU!

I knew once I saw it I would remember what he was talking about. I cannot thank you enough. It seems like a ton of fun and will be put to great use.

Wow, you guys really came through for me! Next time you are trying to decide whether or not to buy your wife a huge rechargeable battery station for her birthday, email me and I will point you in the right direction. Hahaha.

Boy Steve how did you do that??? You are the man! I knew you were the mod here for some reason but reading minds never was a reason I would have guessed.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I think he should get an award!
    Keep Shooting!

Holy Cow that's cooool!!!

Too bad I don't do any extreme sports. I don't suppose anyone would want to see video of me shopping at the mall ....
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    You are the man!
    I should use that as a signature.

These things are very different than most digital cameras, about $150 and really popular with kayakers and cyclists. And I don't have one...

Yet!

Thread Information