Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    More eagerness than skills.. rzozaya1969's Avatar

Tripods... basics?

I'm kinda searching for a tripod, but I don't know what to look for. I've seen some Advanta (or something similar) for around 50 bucks, and some other for 100, 150, 200 bucks, etc..

I think that it's safe to asume that generarily, a 200 bucks will be better than a 100 bucks tripod, but what would make the differences, and which parts I should look for?

I'm guessing that one part is how strong the tripod is (will it break easily? will the notches in the tubes give in, making it squirmy?), maybe how high you can set it up? what features should I look for? (some tripods have a bubble stuff to know if it is level or not)
    "I can't change the world, but I can change my world"

Re: Tripods... basics?

It depends on what you are going to mount on it. Whether you want it for travel or not. Whether you want to use QR plates or not.
    I have about $500 invested in my tripod and ballhead. I have another $200 invested in QR plates. I sit in the midrange of professional tripods.
    A tripod should be stable, sturdy, about your height or taller minus the center column(they have a tendency to shrink in terrain, using the center column for extra height tends to de stabilize the tripod), heavy enough to be damp and not get blown around in the wind(or have a hook to hang your bag from to provide stability), and heavy enough to support the equipment you will be supporting with it.
    Just think about the amount of money you'll be having sitting on your tripod, then decide how much you should spend on it.
    Last edited by EOSThree; 01-02-2007 at 12:33 PM.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

for the money I highly recommend you to look into this one >>> http://www.amvona.com/v7/shop/?page=...roduct_id=2620
    I have that one and the AT-858B-BL and they are super study and well made.
    The 858 is almost 72" high and can hold a head on both ends of the center poll.
    The T12 is great for outdoors since the center pool become a mono pod.
    About heads I'll say a ball-head on the T12 is a perfect set up. The ATH-H95 is a very strong and easy to use.
    Check there website, the have a AWESOME CS.
    cheers
    Juanjo

wanna see photos !

My standard answer is a Bogen/Manfrotto 3001 or 3021 leg set with a 3025 head. They're really sturdy and a lot of people use them. I've had them all and never had a problem. The 3001 isn't very tall but it's lighter in weight than the 3021. If you're not going to carry it as far or shoot with big heavy lenses, then you might choose the 3021 over the 3001.

Above the prices of this stuff, you're really not getting anything sturdier (unless you use really big lenses like 600 f4). For more money, you get things like lighter weight materials like carbon fiber or heads that are quicker to adjust.

We'd really need to know what you plan on using the tripod for, and basically what equipment you have and plan on getting in the future. I'm 6'1" but used the 3001 even though I had to bend over to use it. A lot of times it was carried inside a sea kayak where space is a premium and the lower height didn't bother me. If it wasn't for that, I'd have gone with the 3021. So - there can be a lot to choosing the perfect tripod. One nice thing is that tripods won't go obselete like digital cameras!

Read this, then decide.

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

That's a great article, thanks for posting! Since so many tripod questions come up here, I was thinking about putting something together like that myself. Like most people, I was initially shocked at the price of a good tripod but wasted a lot of money buying unsuitable gear and eventually getting something good. Had I just gone out and bought what I have now, I would have been far ahead...

Thanks for posting that article, I read it years ago and lost it, I will bookmark it for my answer to Tripod questions. Thanks again.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastHucker
    for the money I highly recommend you to look into this one >>> http://www.amvona.com/v7/shop/?page=...roduct_id=2620
    About heads I'll say a ball-head on the T12 is a perfect set up. The ATH-H95 is a very strong and easy to use.
    Thanks for the link....

I've been looking at the complete tripods, and I see two that I like:

AT 818BL tripod

AT 6703S tipod

The 6703S looks pretty nice, and I'm leaning to it. What would be the better value? Do they look ok or should I look for something else?

Edit:

The head are different in those two tripods, on the 818 is a 3-way stuff, and the other a ball grip. I don't know what should be the real practical differences, or what should I look toward. The 818 has the QR, which I'm thinking would be more practical, and I'm not that fighted with my wallet. I'm still thinking...
    Last edited by rzozaya1969; 01-04-2007 at 11:29 AM.

Okay, my unique anxious old self decided to take the plunge on the AT 818 tripod.

I decided on it because I think it has what I wanted and it's affordable. Now the waiting time will kill me!

Customs is sort of overwhelmed yet from the x-mass seasons, so it might take 3 or so weeks to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Okay, my unique anxious old self decided to take the plunge on the AT 818 tripod.

I decided on it because I think it has what I wanted and it's affordable. Now the waiting time will kill me!

Customs is sort of overwhelmed yet from the x-mass seasons, so it might take 3 or so weeks to arrive.
    I had that 818 tripod set and I sent it back...I didn't like it. The 858 and T12 look like they are better made..
    I have no idea of what are you going to use the tripod for but for general use I'll get the T12 legs and a nice ball head (the ATH-95 is really nice). The monopod option of the T12 it may become handy.
    cheers
    Juanjo

wanna see photos !

My name is Alex, not Eric ;)

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastHucker
    I just ordered the AT 12T tripod and the ATH-H95 head, I'm hoping to have it this weekend. I also just ordered the Canon TC-80N3 remote release with timer so now I can start experimenting with long exposure night landscapes.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWJNKY
    I just ordered the AT 12T tripod and the ATH-H95 head, I'm hoping to have it this weekend. I also just ordered the Canon TC-80N3 remote release with timer so now I can start experimenting with long exposure night landscapes.

Hey BMWJNKY...

I guess that by now you already got it and use the tripod/head...

How you like it?
    cheers
    Juanjo

wanna see photos !

Thread Information