Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Tripods & Ballheads Question

Does anyone have Giottos MT8170 legs with either a Markins, Kirk, Linhof, Really
    Right Stuff, or Arca Swiss ball head?

Suggestions please on this matter - needs lightweight equipment due to back problem
    for 100-400mm lens and possibly a 500mm in the future.

Also, if you are someone with this type of tripod/ballhead setup, please advise what
    you use and the equipment it supports.

Anyone use a Wimberley Sidekick? I believe they work with all of the ballheads
    listed above, but unsure about the Markins... would anyone know if the sidekick
    works with a Markins ballhead?

Thanks to all for your help.

Re: Tripods & Ballheads Question

I have an Arca Swiss and use it with Gitzo carbon fiber legs (G1228). It's really a great setup. Used to have a Kirk ballhead but I bought a bunch of equipment including this Arca head and it needed to be rebuilt. I kept it and sold the Kirk, but one really isn't any better than the other. On those two I've shot up to 400mm (smaller lenses, not f2.8) with no problems. No experience with the others, but I'd definitely recommend the setup I have.

Wink Re: Tripods & Ballheads Question

Thanks so much for your help - boy, I sure do appreciate it!

Dee Spatz

Re: Tripods & Ballheads Question

If you're looking for lightweight take a look at Acratech. http://acratech.net/ Their ballheads weigh less than 1 lb and hold quite a bit of weight. I have the Ultimate and I can attest this thing locks down solidly with no flop whatsoever, it can easily hold 25 lbs at any angle. The V2 can hold the same and offers the addition of a drag knob.
    I think any ballhead that has an arca type clamp can work with a sidekick.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Thread Information