Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

tripod question CF or AL

I can get an aluminum pod for half the price of carbon fiber. The al. weighs not even a pound more. Question is, will the aluminum tripod last just as long being in sand, mud, etc. If so, I'm thinking I will just spend a little extra on the ballhead. Thanks.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: tripod question CF or AL

As long as you look after it, and clean it afterwards, I would expect so.
    I have an old AL tube tripod that's lasted nearly 40 years.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Had a Sears aluminum that I paid $18 for in the 80s and it lasted just fine and is still being used by my son. One leg came apart at the ocean once but it wasn't difficult to put it back together. Would still be using it if I didn't need one that would achieve some unique angles.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I had an old Manfrotto Al tripod that I used for the better part of 20-25 years and never had any problems. Went to Carbon fibre recently (also Manfrotto) because of the weight restrictions in carry-on luggage in airports. The CF one has some aspects that allow it to achieve a variety of different angles (unique ones as Frog says) and that was another reason to go there - to CF.

The other factor is how the weight of the tripod figures into the total weight of your gear if you have to carry it any distance - CF wins in this case - hands down, at least for me. The key lies in what Smartwombat has said - keep it clean and lubricated (as appropriate) and it should last a lifetime.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Thanks for all the feedback The weight difference is less than a pound and I dont see where that will bother me at all.

Thread Information