Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Tripod help please...

I just got my new manfrotto 3030 tripod head, and low and behold, it doesn't fit the head screw on my legs. In fact it's way bigger. What i need to know is can I get an adaptor to solve this, or an I doomed to shell out even more for a new legs?

Here is something I found on Amazon, but I am unclear if it is what i need.

Thanks!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Re: Tripod help please...

I think that's just the opposite of what you want - looks like it fits the 3/8-16 thread that their tripod legs use (female thread of adapter) and converts it to 1/4-20 which is what some of the small heads use (like the 3232 which is used a lot on monopods).

Sounds like you have a 3/8-16 female thread on the tripod head and possibly a 1/4-20 male thread on the tripod. There are adapters that photo companies sell for this, but a good hardware store (probably not Home Depot) should have something that will work too. It'll just be a thread adapter that looks like a 1/4-20 nut, but instead of having a hex shape that will fit a wrench on the outside diameter it'll have a 3/8-16 thread. I'm just guessing on the 1/4-20 part but these are the two most common sizes you'll find for photo stuff.

1/4-20 means 1/4" thread, 20 threads per inch - 3/8-16 means 3/8" thread, 16 threads per inch. Take the tripod and the head with you to be sure of the sizes.

Re: Tripod help please...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I think that's just the opposite of what you want - looks like it fits the 3/8-16 thread that their tripod legs use (female thread of adapter) and converts it to 1/4-20 which is what some of the small heads use (like the 3232 which is used a lot on monopods).

Sounds like you have a 3/8-16 female thread on the tripod head and possibly a 1/4-20 male thread on the tripod. There are adapters that photo companies sell for this, but a good hardware store (probably not Home Depot) should have something that will work too. It'll just be a thread adapter that looks like a 1/4-20 nut, but instead of having a hex shape that will fit a wrench on the outside diameter it'll have a 3/8-16 thread. I'm just guessing on the 1/4-20 part but these are the two most common sizes you'll find for photo stuff.

1/4-20 means 1/4" thread, 20 threads per inch - 3/8-16 means 3/8" thread, 16 threads per inch. Take the tripod and the head with you to be sure of the sizes.
    Thanks Steve!

This is my first Pro tripod head. I am accustomed to the all in ones that you get at Ritz. It's a whole new world of terms and numbers to learn...

I will let ya'll know how it goes.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information