Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Tripod Head combo, opinions needed!

Opinions please!

Tripod:
    Slik Pro 340DX
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ipod_Legs.html

Head:
    Bogen/Manfrotto 804RC2
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Tilt_Head.html

Slik Kit from B&H, not sure about the head.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...od_Black_.html

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Tripod Head combo, opinions needed!

What types of photography are you into? Is there a reason you want a 3-way pan/tilt head? Most photogs I know, including myself, prefer a good ball head to a pan/tilt head. I'm not saying don't buy the pan/tilt head, just wondering why that is what you're looking at.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

good question, my bad.

i specifically want the pan head because i want to try some panoramic shots.

the other reason for a tripod is for low light and night shooting.

Ok. Here is my take on the pan/tilt head. My first tripod had a pan/tilt head on it and I hated it. For me, it was a pain in the butt to use because I had to adjust 3 things in order to position my camera the way I wanted it to. Granted, this was a very cheap Walmart tripod, but the functionality is the same. It just took me too long to get things set up the way I wanted. A ball head is much easier, and faster. On the plus side for the pan/tilt head, it is nice to be able to make minor adjustments in one singe direction when needed. On a ball head, once you loosen the main knob, that thing can move in any and all directions!

Most good ball head also have a rotating base on them. I use this feature of my head when taking shots I plan on stitching together as panos. My point isn't to get you to buy a ball head over a pan tilt, just want you to know that you can also shoot panos with a ball head.

If you're really serious about shooting panos, you may want to look into a special head designed specifically for shooting panos.

As far as the legs go, Slik, Bogen and Gitzo all make some very nice legs, and there are lots to choose from depending on how you plan on using them. What gear do you have now, and what do you plan on getting? What types of photography are you into? Do you plan on doing a lot of hiking, or biking with your tripod? Weight, size-both max height and min height and how much weight the tripod needs to support are all things to consider. If you plan on using it in very cold temperatures, some materials are easier to handle than other when they get cold. The more you can tell us about how and what you like to shoot, the better we will be able to guide you.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

mjs, thanks for the input, i will try and answer your questions so that you can help me out further.

i got some advice from this site about stitching pano's and taking them was best done with a pan/tilt head, i am by no means an authority and am just getting into photography, just going on what others have said.

thanks for the info. on ball heads, i didnt know the base could rotate, so maybe they are an option now?

the other types of pictures that would require the use of my tripod would be low light and night shooting. the only other concern i have with a ballhead is trying to aim my camera stright up and take "time lapse" pictures of the stars creating the "blur effect". Am i able ot get this angle with a ball head?

my gear now only consists of a Canon 450D (kit lens) and a lowepro day pack. I would be doing alot of outdoors photgraphy (landscapes, animals, trees, etc), hiking and also using it for friends weddings, family gatherings and international travel, so packability and a low weight would be nice.

I can tell you I am not going to pay for a carbon fiber tripod. I would like to keep the cost around $150. I know thats a conservative budget, but thats all I can really spend right now.

Again I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out, any and all info. is greatly appreciated!

Based on this info I would think that the legs you linked to would suit your needs pretty well. The 4 section legs should allow the tripod to fold up a little smaller than a 3 section tripod. It is strong enough to support your current gear so that won't be a problem. If you have a camera store near you, I would suggest stopping in and looking at the tripods. Look at the different types of leg logging devises they have and see if there is any thing you like better than the others. It may not be a big deal, but you never know.

As far as the ball head being able to point straight up, yes, it will do that without a problem. I would suggest going to a store and looking at the different types of heads too. You may find that you really like how one works compared to the others.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

For pano's definately the pan tilt head and I use the Manfrotto 190 PRO. I also have the 488RC ball head for general use.

Love the legs and the ball head is used a lot more than the pano head.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

The Silk model that you mentioned looks good but if you are tall may I suggest looking at the Silk Pro 700DX. It weighs a little more but the max height is a lot better for taller people, including myself 6'. Also I purchased the Bogen / Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head and love it.

Good luck on your search and post what you end up getting.

James

Everyone, thanks for the info! I LOVE this site!

As far as the legs go, one thing I forgot to add was I want to have the "push lock" style legs, NOT the wing nut. The wing nut style just seem slow to set up.

For the strength of the tripod/head, the only future additions to my set up will be a 70-300mm lens, but thats about it anytime soon.

Funny you should mention stopping at a store. For whatever reason Roanoke, VA is TERRIBLE with camera stores! There is nothing here but Ritz's. And after stopping in at 2 different Ritz stores I am confident that after spending time on this website I have more knowledge than the folks that work there. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but some of these folks were clueless, glad I did my homework beforehand. In addition to that, their selection is horrible. I looked at a Manfrotto there, the only one, and didnt like the weight nor the locking style. The remainder of their inventory was Quantaray, which I will be staying far away from that brand for anything.

So, I pretty much have to go on what you all have to offer, which is great because you all have far more experience than I do!

James: Interesting point on the height. I am 5'11'', so that might be an issue, I hadn't though of that, thanks!

One last thing. Will a ball head allow me to tilt my camera all the way on its side to take "portrait" style shots vs. a "landscape" shot?

The only other thing I can think of would be a built in level would be nice to have.

Keep the great suggestions coming, I have some research to do!

One last try.

Head: Manfrotto 488RC2, yes its a ball head, but the base releases independently from the ball.

Tripod: Slik 340DX or 700DX. I LOVE the folded length and weight of the 340, but at 5'11'' the extended height might be a tad short. The 700 has a nice extension at 70'', but I dont like the folded length or the weight.

My back is already messed up as it is, so, whats the difference with a shorter tripod right? LOL...

When you consider the height of the tripod, keep in mind that you are going to be adding a couple inches on top of that do to the height of the head you choose. If you have a battery grip on your camera, that will give you a little more height as well.

Yes, a ball head will allow you to turn your camera horizontal to shoot in portrait mode.

A level is nice, but keep in mind where the level is at. My legs (3021BPro) has a spirit level built into them, but that doesn't mean my camera is level. I have a little level that slips into the hot shoe on my camera that works much better than the level on the tripod legs. If you have a level on your tripod head, that would be better than on the legs.

I have the 488RC2 and it works very well. The base of the head does move independently from the ball. So once you get the ball locked to where you want it, you can rotate the head on the base without adjusting the ball. If you are doing this to shoot panos, you have to keep in mind that just because the camera is level on top of the head, it doesn't mean that the base of the head is level on the legs. This is where the level on the legs comes in handy.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    When you consider the height of the tripod, keep in mind that you are going to be adding a couple inches on top of that do to the height of the head you choose. If you have a battery grip on your camera, that will give you a little more height as well.
    Yes you will gain some height by with the addition of the head and maybe a battery grip. In use though a tripod often "shrinks" in size due to terrain etc. Look for a tripod that you can stand up and and barely stoop without using the center column. The center column just makes your stable tripod into a fancy tripod base with a monopod on top.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    Yes you will gain some height by with the addition of the head and maybe a battery grip. In use though a tripod often "shrinks" in size due to terrain etc. Look for a tripod that you can stand up and and barely stoop without using the center column. The center column just makes your stable tripod into a fancy tripod base with a monopod on top.

Yes, the terrain will make a big difference. I'm glad you mentioned the center column too. I don't use mine at all, in fact, I don't even know where mine is! Using the center column can make things pretty unstable, and also adds to the weight. It isn't a lot of extra weight, but every bit helps.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Well, I think I made a decision.

The Slik 340DX just sounds too nice to pass up with its low weight and folded length. The times I will be using it and the size/weight factor is NOT an issue will not be as frequent as when they WILL be a factor, if that makes any sense...

IE: I will use this more during international travel, hiking/outdoorsy stuff vs. indoor weddings and portraits.

The B/M 488RC2 sounds awesome, havent heard a bad thing about it, hopefully it will be money well spent.

Lastly, is there anything I need to buy in addition to these to make them work together? Adapters, special plates, brackets, etc? Will the two essentially be a "plug and play"?

The head nor the tripod comes with a level, so I was going to buy a hot shoe mounted one to ensure the proper angle. I saw B&H has several listed, is there any particular one to stay away from or to get?

I cant thank everyone from this site enough for their time and patience, this hobby is a little expensive to get started, but hopefully will be well worth it!

According to the specs on the Slik legs, and the B/M head, you are going to have a problem. The head mount size on the legs is 1/4"-20, on the tripod mount size on the head is 3/8"-16. They are not going to fit together...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

As far as panoramas, most of mine have been shot without a tripod! But please note some times it will not work out 100% of the time. Now for indoor and where there are items in the foreground a Tripod with a Panorama Head is required. Panorama Heads start with cheap plastic things for simple panoramas at $30 and up and beyond $500.00 for machined metal 3D heads for full spherical panoramas.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Mike, for years I had a pan and tilt head - drove me nuts from time to time just getting that last little adjustment :mad2: . I just bought the Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 tripod and a
    468MGRC0 ball head. The ball head has a quick release with it and I wanted that because I had one with the old P&T head and found them quite a lot easier to work with. If you need to take the camera off the tripod for some reason then you just use the quick release and voila camera is now in your hands. The base of the head is also graduated from 0 to 360 degrees so that you can take very precise panos. HTH

Cheers,

WesternGuy

You may want to get extra plates for telephoto lenses or extra bodies.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information