Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: tripod head

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

tripod head

My 25 year old, 20 dollar tripod finally bit the dust so I've started shopping.
    I'm really liking the gitzo 2220 so far but not sure about head.
    I want a 3 way pan head and am looking at the giotto mh5001.
    I'm almost embarrassed to be spending so much on the tripod so am looking a bit cheaper for the head and this seems to be a good one with quick release and two levels, etc..
    Anyone else use one. I checked reviews and didn't see one.
    Am I being too cheap?
    Mostly landscape and nature photography,
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Re: tripod head

Read this about tripods.

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Then go spend the money on what you need. It will be well worth it in the long run. My personal favorite for a head is the Bogen 322RC2.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

frog, check amvona.com. I recently got a trip for about 80 from them with a pistol grip ball head and it's very sturdy and high quality.

doble the Amvona.com stuff..

Great products good price and friendly CS.

I have two tripods and three heads from them which I been using for a wile now and they are study, strong, well made and easy to use.
    cheers
    Juanjo

wanna see photos !

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    frog, check amvona.com. I recently got a trip for about 80 from them with a pistol grip ball head and it's very sturdy and high quality.
    I had the Amovna pistol grip ball head and sold it. It was of high quality, but IMHO it was only sturdy, not very sturdy. It worked just fine however there were two things I did not like about it. It appears to be a direct copy of the Bogen 3265 and supports the exact same weight, 5.5 lbs, which ended up being a little light for my use due to it being an upright pistol grip. My biggest complaint was however with the quick mount plate and head. If they were gonna copy Bogen they could have at least used the same size head and plate. You can only get additional QR plates from Amonva. Since i keep a QR plate on all of my bodies and all of my lens rings, I wanted to be able to just walk into a photography shop and plop down my $10.00 for a new one

Granted the 322 is a $100.00 head, but it supports 11 pounds due to it being a side grip and has a lower more sturdy profile.

Just my $0.02 here.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

very true, what you said. What I was referring to originally was the quality of the legs, because i wouldn't say the vertical ballhead is THAT high quality, because the design is flawed, i agree. But surprisingly, it can handle my 1d and 70-200 2.8 perfectly fine. I do agree with your QR plate issues though, also the fact that the release is built fairly poorly. If I had 100 to blow on a head, i would buy the 322 definitely, but on a more limited budget, i opted for the upright cheaper version as it is good enough for what I need it for now. My reference was just to amvona because they have good products at decent prices. Even if they do rip off bogen.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    very true, what you said. What I was referring to originally was the quality of the legs, because i wouldn't say the vertical ballhead is THAT high quality, because the design is flawed, i agree. But surprisingly, it can handle my 1d and 70-200 2.8 perfectly fine. I do agree with your QR plate issues though, also the fact that the release is built fairly poorly. If I had 100 to blow on a head, i would buy the 322 definitely, but on a more limited budget, i opted for the upright cheaper version as it is good enough for what I need it for now. My reference was just to amvona because they have good products at decent prices. Even if they do rip off bogen.
    Not
    I have heard alot of good things about their legs. Pretty sturdy and quite useable. Also Feisol has had good reviews. http://feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm Not quite as cheep though, but good prices for carbon fiber.

Thankyou for all the feedback.
    I'm not considering a ball head at this time so hoped someone had experience with the giotto mh5001. It seems to have good features for the price.
    Any other 3 way pan heads that any would suggest?

Thankyou again for the info and I'm still studying.

Oh! I also have had some luck with Amvona as I bought my bag from them. Only wish I'd bought a size larger as it is a very nice bag.
    Keep Shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Thankyou for all the feedback.
    I'm not considering a ball head at this time so hoped someone had experience with the giotto mh5001. It seems to have good features for the price.
    Any other 3 way pan heads that any would suggest?

Thankyou again for the info and I'm still studying.

Oh! I also have had some luck with Amvona as I bought my bag from them. Only wish I'd bought a size larger as it is a very nice bag.

I HIGHLY recommend you this one.. http://www.amvona.com/v7/shop/?page=...roduct_id=2131
    From all the heads and products that I have from Amvona (and I have a FEW) this is my big time favorite...
    Really well made head.
    cheers
    Juanjo

wanna see photos !

Thanks, Juanjo!
    Its now on my list.
    Keep Shooting!

Frog
    Did you finially pick a head to buy or are you still looking . I'd like to pick up a new ball head myself .

Regards
    Jerry

Hi Jerry.
    Yes. I bought a ghiotto 5001. Its a 3 way pan. A bit on the heavy side but I don't hike much anymore. Holds 13+ pounds which is way more than I need but better too much than too little.
    Keep Shooting!

Thread Information