Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

treking stick / monopod recomendation

I'm looking to get some trekking sticks for backpacking and hiking that can double as a monopod for photography. Most of what I have seen are monopods that might double as trekking sticks, but don't really seem of high enough quality for regular backcountry use. I may even be interested in simply modifying some treking sticks and putting a tripod mount on top, but that doesn't seem possible with the Leki sticks which are abundant locally.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Re: treking stick / monopod recomendation

Gitzo makes - or at least used to - something like this. They're distributed here in the US by Bogen. B&H carries almost everything they make, too.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: treking stick / monopod recomendation

Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473
    I'm looking to get some trekking sticks for backpacking and hiking that can double as a monopod for photography. Most of what I have seen are monopods that might double as trekking sticks, but don't really seem of high enough quality for regular backcountry use. I may even be interested in simply modifying some treking sticks and putting a tripod mount on top, but that doesn't seem possible with the Leki sticks which are abundant locally.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    You are right, photographic monopods make lousy trekking poles. Plus, they break easily in normal outdoor use which can get expensive.

Go to an outdoor store and look for real trekking poles that have a standard tripod camera screw (usually under the handle). Some Lekis have this feature, others do not. I use REI poles with the tripod screw but any brand will do. You can also carry a cheap ball head for more versatile use. These trekking poles will work very well under the stress of hiking and backpacking.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information