Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Is there a big difference,,, lenses 4 Canon 10 D

OK, I'm a newbie to this thing called DSLR,,,,

I bought a Canon 10D with a Tamron 28-300 XR it does Ok, "What do I know" but I want a wider lens! I take mostly landscape shots... The Tamron doesn't widen out enough, I know stupid statement, well here is the first question, "IS THERE A DIFFERENCE" between the Canon Super Wides and say the Sigma super wide? I'm looking at the 12-24mm from Sigma and the 10-22mm from Canon???? Will I be able to tell a huge difference in picture quality? or will Photoshop take care of the little thing's? On the cheaper lens??

OK question number 2,,, Super Zooms I also take Wildlife photos, I've purchased a 2x phoenix teleconvertor for the Tamron 28-300 XR,,, Not impressed...

So here goes, another could be stupid question? Canon 100-400 USM IS with a 2x Canon tele-pro convertor cost is going to be 1800.00 or so buck's
    Or can I get away with a lower priced Super Zoom like a Phoenix 650-1300 mm and sharpen the pictures up in Photoshop?

Am I thinking that Photoshop will fix the cheaper lenses more so than it is capable of doing?

Thanx in advance, Dustin

I'm no expert on lenses, but I've heard EVERYWHERE to Get The Best Lens You Can Afford, even if you put it on a cheaper body. You're only as good as your lens.

Remember, sharpening is artificial, and leaves artifacts. You're degrading your image IMO. Best to start with the best image possible.

Besides, even if you could sharpen everything up in Photoshop, is that how you want to be spending your time??
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Toon Army Foot Soldier straightarm's Avatar

One key difference is

the Canon 10-22mm lens is EF-S fit, rather than EF and thus will not fit on an EOS 10D.

The Sigma is reasonable quality. The reviews on fredmiranda.com are generally favourable.

I think you're expecting too much from the tamron and the converter. At 300mm, the tamron's max aperture is f6.3. Putting a 2x converter on makes the max aperture f12.6 You won't get best results at max aperture, you need to stop down at least two stops to say f16 or f22. This however will give you very long shutter speeds. Unless you have a decent tripod, you will struggle to get good results.

Why do you need such a long lens? 600mm on a 10D is the equivalent of 1000mm on a full frame camera. That's very, very long. Just using the tamron alone gives you the equivalent of 500mm on full frame. For most people that's enough.

If you use a long lens you have to try and use either a good solid tripod or a fast shutter speed. The rule of thumb is the shutter speed should be at most 1/ focal length, so at 300mm 1/300 or faster.

Simon
    Last edited by straightarm; 09-20-2004 at 05:19 AM.
    Simon, bombadier 1st class

photoshop does not compensate for a poor quality lens, the lens takes the picture not the camera, you need to invest in good quality lenses if you want good photos. that doesn't mean the most $$$ lenses though, read the reviews on this site and pick out a lens or two that get lots of praise to get you pointed in the right direction. keep in mind that whatever lens you put on your 10D it has a 1.6X crop factor already so that's like always having a teleconvertor on the body (this is why your 28 mm doesn't seem wide enough).
    Last edited by kafin8ed; 09-20-2004 at 02:26 PM.
    www.DigitalMTB.com
    www.alandavisphoto.net
    "There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." -William S. Burroughs

Agree with Straightarm

Quote Originally Posted by kafin8ed
    Straightarm - the Canon EF-S lenses are MADE for the Canon 10D, 20D, and DRebel bodies with the 1.6X crop factor, they will NOT work on film bodies or the 1Ds, I'm not sure about the 1D or 1DmkII, I'd have to look into that one. your first statement there is WRONG.
    The "S" on EF-S stands for "Short Back Focus". The rear element of the lens protrudes further into the body of the camera than the EF lenses and the mirror mechanism has been modified on the 300D/DRebel and the 20D so that the mirror doesn't collide with the rear of the lens. The lens mount has also been modified so that these lenses will only fit on a compatible body.

The EF-S lenses are not compatible with the 10D, 1D or 1DmkII. If you want to put a 10-22 (or whatever) on a 10D then you're obliged to buy Sigma.

Charles

Why such a big lenes...

I need a bigger lens..... because I like to shot wildlife, and It's a lot easier and safer to shoot a Griz, or Black bear with a longer lens!
    I live 4 1/2 hours from Jellystone and 4 from Teton N.P. I plan on spending more time there once I get the set up I desire,

thanx for all the input, Dustin

PS If I get rich quick I'd have a BIG Canon zoom lens like there 1200mm but I'm sure it cost at least 10,000 !! More than I'd ever spend on a lens and I don't have any rich uncles!!

Learn how to shoot wildlife before you go wasting your money. Standard lenses are the 400, 500 and 600, occasionally used with a TC.

600 seems to be the most anyone uses.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Franglais - you're right after checking the canon site I figured it out, I should have done that first, I was misguided by a review on the Photo.net. http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon...fs_lenses.html it doesn't actually say on there that it won't work on a 10D, but it doesn't say it will either....boo to them...
    Last edited by kafin8ed; 09-20-2004 at 05:30 PM.
    www.DigitalMTB.com
    www.alandavisphoto.net
    "There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." -William S. Burroughs

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    Dude I shoot black bear with a 100-400IS on a 1D..... you do not want , nor do you need a POS 650-1300 junker lens.

invest in a 300, 400, 500 lens(even a zoom) and a GOOD tripod .

the canon 300f4IS, 400F5.6L, 100-400IS, SIGMA 50-500 will do you FINE with PROPER wildlife TECHNIQUE ;)

http://www.camerahunter.com/tips1.html
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

How's that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Learn how to shoot wildlife before you go wasting your money. Standard lenses are the 400, 500 and 600, occasionally used with a TC.

600 seems to be the most anyone uses.

Seb..... How do "YOU" shoot wildlife? In Jellystone.. If you'd try to stalk in closer to a Grizzly you'd have 25 plus other people to worry about, There is a certain valley that the Griz's come down into an open meadow... There is usually 20 plus people waiting for this moment! And if you were to step off the black top and try to put the sneak on one of "THERE" bears you'd have more than just the griz to worry about, I've spent a little time in my life learning on how , ;) to get close to wildlife and when I mean close I mean with in 100 yard's.... It's just a lot easier and safer to shot from a distance.. and less disturbing to the animals.. Thank's for your input I appreciate it !

Dustin

Tripod,,,

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    Dude I shoot black bear with a 100-400IS on a 1D..... you do not want , nor do you need a POS 650-1300 junker lens.

invest in a 300, 400, 500 lens(even a zoom) and a GOOD tripod .

the canon 300f4IS, 400F5.6L, 100-400IS, SIGMA 50-500 will do you FINE with PROPER wildlife TECHNIQUE ;)

http://www.camerahunter.com/tips1.html

Paul,,, I went out a couple day's ago and bought "what I thought" was a good tripod. It's a Manfrotto dist, by Bogen it's a 3205 with a 3130 head?? Is this a good choice? Like I said I know nothing about cameras or equipment.. that's why I'm here "to learn"

Dustin

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    well that is green legs with a 2 way video head If you don't get into the 500f4 range this will be FINE. the thing is though, that release plate in the weak link in my mind. I put this QR adapter on my friends 3130's to support their SWAROVSKI, LEICA and PENTAX scopes

http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/t...00&itemid=2608

those legs are heavy(solid support) so you will be fine.

OH, the reason I put the QR adapter on is.....

the plate for the 3030/3130 head is tiny to be trusting $1500(5 pounds too) on in my opinion

BTW.. when sebastian made that comment...... HE was right on dude!

NOBODY needs 2000mm for ANY wildlife imagery in my opinion.

600F4's are SMALL bird lenses, while the 500f4 and tc's are the choice of A VAST MAJORITY of working pro wildlife shooters ;) Sure many shoot the 600, but lug that around for a day and you will understand .
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information