Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    It's hurricane season... again...

Teleconverters for non "L" lenses?

I am interested in purchasing a Canon 135mm 2.8 lens, as well as a 2x teleconverter. I am a little confused about this. Are the Canon brand teleconverters only made for "L" lenses, therefore I have to buy third party? Or is there a Canon teleconverter for non-L lenses? Thanks!
    Last edited by kkraczek; 03-28-2004 at 12:25 PM.

Cool

Right. The Canon Extenders EF 1.4x (I and II) and EF 2x (I and II) have front elements that extend beyond the mount, so they can only be mounted to a select list of L-series primes (plus the 400 DO) and some "L" zooms. See http://www.usa.canon.com/eflenses/ , click on the extenders in the drop down menu, then "Extender Data." It is physically impossible to mate them directly to other lenses.

Aside: It can be done using a 12mm extension tube between the lens and extender. Fine for macro, but you lose infinity focus.

Sigma's APO teleconverters are similar, intended only for use with a small number of their EX lenses and certain others by Canon, Nikon, etc. See http://www.sigma-photo.com/html/page...ComptChart.htm .

Kenko's Pro 300 series of teleconverters are well regarded and can be mated to most any lens. They also make a lower line of TCs (2x MC-7, 1.5x Teleplus SHQ) that will also work.

It's hurricane season... again...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemming51
    Right. The Canon Extenders EF 1.4x (I and II) and EF 2x (I and II) have front elements that extend beyond the mount, so they can only be mounted to a select list of L-series primes (plus the 400 DO) and some "L" zooms. See http://www.usa.canon.com/eflenses/ , click on the extenders in the drop down menu, then "Extender Data." It is physically impossible to mate them directly to other lenses.

Aside: It can be done using a 12mm extension tube between the lens and extender. Fine for macro, but you lose infinity focus.

Sigma's APO teleconverters are similar, intended only for use with a small number of their EX lenses and certain others by Canon, Nikon, etc. See http://www.sigma-photo.com/html/page...ComptChart.htm .

Kenko's Pro 300 series of teleconverters are well regarded and can be mated to most any lens. They also make a lower line of TCs (2x MC-7, 1.5x Teleplus SHQ) that will also work.

Thanks... what confused me was this line directly from Canon's website description. " With the EF 2x II, AF is possible with any EOS body if the lens has an f/2.8 or faster maximum aperture". Yet, when you look at the compatibility chart, only "L" lenses are listed. They might want to re-word that description, IMO. I will check Kenko's site. Thanks again!

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    " With the EF 2x II, AF is possible with any EOS body if the lens has an f/2.8 or faster maximum aperture".

THAT'S RIGHT(besides 1V, 1D,1Ds.. ).. a 2x TC will make your effective aperture go up 2stops(f1.4, f2,f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8, f11.......). so a 300f2.8 with a 2X becomes a 600f5.6.

as a rule you loose AF with a TC if the effective aperture is ABOVE F5.6(above F8 on 1V based bodies) confusingly worded, but true

kenko PRO300 !!!!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information