Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Tamron Lens

Tamron Lens

I am thinking about buying a Tamron 70mm-300mm lens for my Rebel 2000. I notice some of you use this brand. What's the good, the bad, and the ugly on this lens.

Re: Tamron Lens

I have a Sigma of the same focal length and as long as I have enough light to stop it down to about f/11 its fine. It gets soft at the 270-300mm area but its not too bad if you stop down. Its slow to focus and mine hunts a little even in good light. Its a good cheap lens if you need the reach but not a lot of money.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

I haven't owned any Tamron lenses myself, but this seems to be a pretty similar response with most lenses of this type. Can't remember what brand of gear you have, but Nikon's 70-300 ED (not the G version) is a very good lens of this type although a bit more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I am thinking about buying a Tamron 70mm-300mm lens for my Rebel 2000. I notice some of you use this brand. What's the good, the bad, and the ugly on this lens.
    I have that lense the 35mm film mirco version for nikon, not the Digital Ver. I'm very happy with the lense.

But be aware that there have been reports on the older versions of that lense which are not good.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Hello.

New to the forums, though a long time lurker. I must say searching the archives of this place has helped me more than once.

Anyway, to the topic at hand. I was recently talked into purchasing a Tamron 70-300mm lens for a discounted price when bought with the new D80 by a quick-talking salesman who informed me I would be able to bring it back within thirty days were it not unopened, should I decide I didn't want the thing after all. Got it home and Googled for reviews before opening it. There, I came across this.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70300af.htm

This individual seems to think that Nikon out-sourced production of their own, newer, 70-300mm to Tamron, due to the likenesses he notes. Though he couldn't get confirmation either way, it makes for an interesting read. And while this is written for a digital lens, it made me wonder about Nikon's 'low-end' in general, so I thought I would share.

Tom

Yeah I have this very lens, I like it, its great for zooming in on far away
    places, like when you want to shoot something and ther is a fence
    in the way with a sign that says NO TRESPASSING.
    only problem is its heavy so I have to use a tripod or I shake like
    an old man, good luck

Thread Information