Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Stupid question for the day

I have been using a Rebel T2 (film camera) for the last 2 years, but I have recently
    been toying with the idea of maybe someday(after I have gotten better on my film camera) getting a digital.
    Like maybe getting a cheper one at first to get used to, then later get an advanced
    digital like a Panasonic Lumix, there seems to be things I want to do that I cant do
    with a film camera, like infared and photoshop & something that I really need is to be able
    to see the shot after I take it & if I dont like it do it over.OK here comes the stupid part how much different is it to use a digital camera than film,I honestly have never touched
    one, is there a lot to learn, than just regular photography? How much extra stuff
    will I have to buy to download pics& etc.......Sorry I told you it was a stupid question

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Stupid question for the day

There are a few things such as white balance and histograms that makes shooting digital different than film. All of your basics photographic skills and priciples still apply. To get started, you really don't need much more than a camera and a computer with some hard drive space. Most camera's come with their own software for downloading images off the camera and for doing some basic corrections.

As for a camera, I would probably pick a camera that you can both learn on and grow with. Such as a camera that will allow you to do auto everything like any point and shoot but will also allow you to switch to manual control of everything. This way you're only working on improving your actual skills instead of trying to learn a new camera everytime you out-grow one.

There's many more things you'll need to pick up on to make the most out of your digital shooting, but there's no need to go into a lot of detail until you get there. Take it one step at a time and you'll be fine. The problem is that most people try to take on everything at once and they get overwhelmed. If you just take it on one thing at a time though you'll learn easier and faster.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I think Canuck summed it up pretty good. If you're already shooting with an SLR, then stepping up to digital won't be a huge leap. Yes, there is a learning curve to get over but it's a fun hill to climb.

If you like your T2, you might consider getting something like the Canon Rebel XT or XTi. You will be able to use the lenses you have on your T2, and the layout of the camera will be pretty familiar to you.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

A digital camera is great for amateurs:
    1) It doesn't cost you anything to "develop" the images.
    2) You get instant feedback on what the image looks like on the camera's LCD screen.
    3) The image contains "metadata": information about the settings used for a particular shot

I find this last one of particular use. You can see the shutter, aperature, and ISO settings, and evaluate their effect on the shot. You also know the time of day (which gives clues to lighting conditions) and wether or not the flash was fired. This has greatly improved my shooting ability, and reduced the good shots/trash ratio (which, incidentally, is still rather high)

It's also easier to use editing programs when you start with digital images. Of course film can still be scanned in, but that presents it's own problems. Image editing can make the difference between the trash can:

and a keeper:

In the end, it's all in what you want to do with your photograpghy, and how much you want to invest. The above images were captured with a Canon Digital Rebel XT, and edited in Photoshop.

-Joe U.

Smile Re: Stupid question for the day

I used a Canon EOS 630 (film) for years and have recently upgraded to a 350D (Rebel XT) digital and I love it. Canuck has given you a good summary of what it is like to upgrade. For me, the digital camera has opened up a whole new world of creativity (my opinion) The lenses and few other accessories from the 630 fit the 350D, allowing for the 1.6 cropping factor. One thing that really helped me understand this new digital world was the book Digital Photography for Dummies (don't laugh). It is a very good book and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn about digital photography. :thumbsup:

The software that comes with the digital camera should do just about most things you would want in terms of post-processing. I used the Canon software for about 6 months and then bought Photoshop Elements and even took a short introductory course on it at the local college. This has enlarged the world of creativity again. Yes, as has been stated, there is a bit of a learning curve, but if you like exploring new things and learning new ways of doing things, it is always fun. Hope this helps you in your decision making.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman
    I have been using a Rebel T2 (film camera) for the last 2 years, but I have recently
    been toying with the idea of maybe someday(after I have gotten better on my film camera) getting a digital.
    Like maybe getting a cheper one at first to get used to, then later get an advanced
    digital like a Panasonic Lumix, there seems to be things I want to do that I cant do
    with a film camera, like infared and photoshop & something that I really need is to be able
    to see the shot after I take it & if I dont like it do it over.OK here comes the stupid part how much different is it to use a digital camera than film,I honestly have never touched
    one, is there a lot to learn, than just regular photography? How much extra stuff
    will I have to buy to download pics& etc.......Sorry I told you it was a stupid question
    The only down side is it you don't have a computer. Basically any computer can be used, unless you are going to do panoramas as you will need more ram GIG or more.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Don't forget to figure in the cost of storage as well. You save money on film development, but you still need space (hardrive, CD, DVD's etc.) to store all those digital files.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information