Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

SONY DSC V3 : freezing-up problem

I bought my V3 a few months ago and have always been pleased with the results. (I also have the V1 and F828). I last used my V3 two months ago and when I went to use it over the weekend I found that, after a short while, it froze. It would turn on and take photos but no other buttons or options would work (zoom, delete, etc.) I would turn it off in frustration and then try again some moments later. Again, it would work perfectly and then freeze-up again. It seems that it is lucky-dip if it works or not!! Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone offer any help or advise, please? I have been on to Sony who very kindly suggested that I post it to them and they would take a look at it and, hopefully, repair it for £114 plus p&p. Since I could buy another on Ebay for about the same price (give or take) I am reluctant to go down the repair route yet. I await any replies that you are kind enough to send. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Cheers

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: SONY DSC V3 : freezing-up problem

Does Sony have a firmware upgrade for this camera? If it can't be solved with FW then I'd say your options are: 1) send for repair. 2) buy a new camera. 3) live with the problem.

What settings are you using? Are you taking low light pictures when this happens? The shutter noise of digital cameras belies how long the shutter is actually open. And a long shutter speed may "lock up" your camera. Have you recently changed settings?
    You may want to re set your camera to factory and see if the problem continues.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

To Canuck 935 - What is a Firmware Update? Would try it if I knew what it was!!!

To EOSThree -Have already re-set camera to factory settings. The problem is not consistent - I could pick up my camera now and it would work, then I could pick it up a few hours later and it would freeze. I really am mega-puzzled.

Thanks for your suggestions - would still like to ask for further help for anyone.

Cheers (but fast losing the will to live!!!) Sandmanblack

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

firmware is like the camera's (or printer, or microwave, any electronic device) built in software. It's the set of instructions that tells the camera what to do and when to do it. I checked Sony's website and I didn't find any firmware updates for the V3.

Thread Information