Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: small photos

small photos

Hi I am new here, I hope this is in the right place. I store my pictures on my computer in my pictures and notice that some of them suddenly are very small (2-3kb) I did not shrink them what happened and how can I restore them to there original size? I use camida master and an Olympus C-2100.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: small photos

I wonder if you're just seeing the "thumbnail" which is really just a preview. The images may (should) be in a different location on your computer. If you're using Windows XP, check My Documents for the folder called My Pictures and see if that's where they are.

If they're not there and can't find them, then shoot a picture of something (anything) and go thru the process that you do to download the image from the camera. While doing this, the folder that they go into should be displayed somewhere.

Unfortunately if they're only 2-3k, there isn't any way to try to make them any larger at a decent quality level. You can usually go up in size a little bit, but even if you doubled the size to 4-6k it wouldn't help. Most avatars on this site (like mine) are 80x80 pixels and have to be around 18k maximum, to give you an idea...

No they are no thumbnails, at one time they were normal size pictures any new pictures I take work fine but the older ones seem to have shrunk! they are in my pictures on XP.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Hmm do a windows search for the filename of one of those shrunken images and see if there's a larger one somewhere else. Hope you have backed up your pictures somwhere else too?

One of my own personal policies is to never use the "My Documents" or "My Pictures" etc. folders. They are part of the OS and if you have to reinstall the OS or it crashes or something those folders go with it. If you move the folders to a different location besides default that works too.

I also have backups of most of my pictures on CD's, as well as hard drives on 2 PC's, a laptop, and a Mirra personal server.

Thanks for the help, but I think I found the problem. I stored the photos on kodak web site while I changed over to XP and when I whnt to send some of them back to my pictures I did it wrong now it's OK.
    Thanks

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Backups are a good idea - I usually have two of them (external HD and CD).

Thread Information