Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Singh-Ray vs. Cokin

I have used Cokins since I have been using ND grads and they have served me well. But I broke one of my Cokins when the camera slid off of the car seat with it mounted to the camera. I had a backup but have been shopping and pricing. Are the Singh-Rays worth the extra cost? My only issue is that I sometimes get flaring with the Cokins. Sometimes a good thing sometimes not.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Singh-Ray vs. Cokin

KIA or Lexus. Which do you want?

You will see a difference in quality not only in product, but I would suspect in color reproduction. Cokin does not make a true ND filter and they have a reputation for color shift because of this.

I have never had any issues with color corrections using the Cokins. I do manually focus using them. My images are sharper if I do, that's not really an issue.
    I had rather know if higher end filters are less likely to flare. I don't mind driving a KIA.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I've never had any flare issues with Singh-Rays.

Flare can be had even with the Singh-Rays, it's a lens/filter shade thing. Also if the subject causes you to shot close to the sun (have no choice to wait for better lighting), protecting the filter/lens from the sun becomes problematic and flare may happen regardless of the filter or lens quality.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thanks Freygr, I dont get them all the time, flares. Mostly when I am shooting a sunrise, sunset and shooting directly at the sun. I was just curious about the SinghRays and Lees since i am getting close to buying a new one.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information