Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Side pictures Please read..

I have a Canon Powershot S3.

I've been playing around with it, I've read some of the manual xD

Recently I noticed I had a tiny dent in my camera. I dunno how I got the dent there though. {Scroll down for the pic}

Anywya, my problem is that, my camera has one of those flippy LCD's. So if you were holding the camera, you could flip the camera LCD over and take the picture of yourself.

When I turn it to the side, to take a pic like the long way, it flips me upside down. I dunno what's going on, and i'm sorry if you don't understand me.

it's like, you flip the LCD so it's facing the way the lens are. And then you turn th camera to the side to take like, a headshot of yourself. Only when I do it now (And it never happened before) the picture flips me upside down. however, when the lcd is in its original spot, there are no problems of taking side pictures

I'm sorry if this is hard to understand, it just struck two here..

That's about where the dent is, and the dent's really small.

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: Side pictures Please read..

Has it always shown the image upsidedown when you flip the LCD screen? There might be a setting in the camera menu somewhere that would tell you how to correct it. My friend has the A30 (or whatever it is) and on his LCD screen, everything shows up in the correct orientation no matter where the LCD screen is.

Otherwise, there might be a loose connection (My own random guess) between the LCD screen & the camera that tells it when to flip the image over.

Gues you could always just hold the camera upside down when taking self portraits

Other than that check with Canon to see if thats normal.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

I don't think it is normal because it hasn't happened before, and then it started happening. It's not the Auto-Rotate think, I know tht.

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I'd give Canon a call and see if they can fix it, or if they've heard of the problem before.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Some cameras when you fold it out to the side and then twist for a self-portrait it goes into MIRROR mode and swaps the image roudn which only works in landscape orientation (long side on the bottom) but in portrait (short side on the top) it's goign to flip the image upside down.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information