Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Shutter Release Jam

Hi all!

Has this has ever happened to anyone? Please let me know your thoughts. I was shooting my daughter's ballet classes and humming along clickety click. Then the shutter button just ceases to work. I put it away take it out the next day to fiddle with it and it works fine. Then again. I go out to shoot a show, I've taken 4 frames f the marquis and GAG! The shutter no longer fires. Arrgh! I think there must be a bad intermittent connection somewhere. Does anyone else think that's what it might be or could this something more "brain" related to the camera itself? I didn't have my backup rig with me and so I missed a really great moe. show! :mad2: :sad: :nonod:

Thanks!
    :23:
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

Re: Shutter Release Jam

CL, have you tried cleaning the contacts? I had a similar problem with my 1d the other day right after setting up all my lights. The shutter would open, then stick. I had to turn the camera off then on to get the shutter to close. I was freaking out of course, because I don't have the time or money to send the 1d (my only functioning digital body because of the problem with the 10d) into the shop. So I took a pencil and using the eraser, cleaned the contacts on the lens and the camera off, and voila, no more locking up. Hope it works for you.

Thanks Brent ~
    I gave it a try but no dice. Upon further daylight, clear headed, non-panic inspection of the contact points on the body it would appear that the entire ring is pretty well scuffed.
    I'm guessing that's the root of my problem. Luckily there is a factory authorized repair shop in D.C. I can leave it with. 6 to 8 to 14 weeks from now it will be good as new! :cryin:

*Sniff* Oh well. What does anyone here about the K10D? Looks like I'm moving on up. . .guess I'll go check out the review section.
    Asheville Photographer

Are you a Pentax user? Did you check in on my Pentax users post? I'm feeling out interest in adding a dedicated Pentax forum.

As for the K10D - it looks awesome to me. And I've been hearing nothing but good things about it. The combination of built-in image stabilization and weatherproofing make it look like a really excellent choice for outdoor photographers. And since it's so much smaller than the Canon EOS 1D bodies, I could see it pulling potential Canon buyers over to Pentax. I've got a test unit on the way for studio tests and product shots and I'm really excited about it. I've heard it's got a great, bright viewfinder, too.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I am and always have been. My ist* DS has been nothing but great for me for two years, I think it has earned a rest in the shop while I upgrade. It will still make a fantastic back up rig. I didn't see the Pentax users post, was that in VF? I'll snoop around for it, but certainly would appreciate a Pentax user specific forum on PR!:thumbsup:
    Asheville Photographer

Thread Information