Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Is this a shutter issue?

on the recent wedding It happen mostly on the wide end of the canon 20d and the 10-22efs lens. I'm wonderring if this is a shutter problem, this is the two consecutive shot in the row show that weir black mark on top right and bottom left. anyone know what this is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this a shutter issue?-black1.jpg   Is this a shutter issue?-black2.jpg  

Re: Is this a shutter issue?

I'm not sure, but I'm affraid it might be a shutter problem. It could also be a flash sync issue. Check your shutter speed and make sure it was not above the max flash sync speed for your camera.

If it's not the flash sync, try this simple shutter test:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-135.html

Good luck.

Paul

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Did you have a lens hood, and if so, was it on correctly? Shooting at 10mm it would be pretty easy to get vignetting if the lens hood wasn't on correctly.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

well, the shutter speed was on 60 aperture 5.6 flash bound straight up and forward. and I don't thinks the lens hood mounted wrong, if it did it would happen at all other wide shot too. Yesterday I went ahead and order a 5d and a 40d for this weeken wedding

last nite I was trying to re created the same type of problem but nothing happen. And if any of you guy know which camera it shooting with. Cause, both of the body is a 20D, that might be the best to nerow it down to which one causing this weir stuff and thanks a million guy.

I'm with Mike - guessing either the lens hood was mounted incorrectly (or somehow got moved) or something like a Cokin filter holder was on the lens, etc.

I don't know much about the mechanics of cameras and shutters, but I think the shutter travels up and down; not diagonally. If you had the wrong flash sync speed (which apparently is not the case) you'd have a dark band straight across the top of the shot - not diagonally. So, I don't think it's a shutter related problem. Also, it happened on two consecutive shots; no other time. Things happen fast at weddings (been there) and it would be easy enough for something like this to happen. However, I'd hate to use a camera for a wedding that I wasn't 100% sure was operating correctly...

I thinks I'm going to do another test tonight with the lens hood attach some what wrong to see if that would be the problem. As I was typing the 40d came in tomorow would be the 5d. And you are so right my friend I would not take any chances with wedding.

oh, and another view. It does happen to a bunch of different time to, those are the only two I up loaded.

will be back with any other result and thank you guy,

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I had similar issues, but it was only at one edge, not two edges.
    I don't think it looks right for shutter.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Wombat, did you ever find out what causing that.

would you thinks it the shutter issue though? can you share your thought please..

Quote Originally Posted by JTcooper
    oh, and another view. It does happen to a bunch of different time to, those are the only two I up loaded.
    Probably hard for you to be sure of the answer to this question, but has the problem always happened with this lens and has it always been in sequential shots? In other words, did it happen in one or more shots together and then suddenly correct itself? I'm wondering if it's possible that this lens hood keeps getting bumped.

I don't know that lens (being a Nikon guy) but if it has a cut-out or flower petal style lens hood and it's put on the wrong way (diagonally or with the cutouts up and down) then they could possibly show up. In these two shots, it's possible the lens hood somehow got bumped and turned a bit diagonally, and the edges of the hood showed up in the corner of the shot. I'm almost positive that you'd have to recognize it and turn it back into the right position for the problem to go away but possibly you did and don't remember. Don't take that last remark the wrong way, I know how crazy wedding shooting is and you're concentrating on everything all at the same time and it all just sort of happens - hard to describe but I'm sure you know what I mean. Bottom line, does the hood possibly rotate too easily on the lens?

I did an experiment with my 12-24mm lens to see if I could duplicate your results. With the lens set at 12mm, the lens hood only had to be moved a tiny bit from where it is supposed to be and the longer petals started showing up in the corners. It's kind of hard to see in this image, due to the dark carpet, but the bottom left corner also shows the same vignetting as your image does. If you look close, you can also see the top left corner is also showing the hood. That is also visible in your original images. I'm sure it's in the bottom right but since there is already something dark there, you can't see it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this a shutter issue?-img_5723.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I was going with the lens hood and wide angle theory and after seeing Mikes test shot I'm fairly sure thats it.
    It should be simple to eliminate the shutter just by placing a different lens, something like a 70 mm or so and see if it happens. If not, you can be certain it is not a shutter issue.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I was going with the lens hood and wide angle theory and after seeing Mikes test shot I'm fairly sure thats it.
    It should be simple to eliminate the shutter just by placing a different lens, something like a 70 mm or so and see if it happens. If not, you can be certain it is not a shutter issue.
    There is no way that's the shutter... it would be vertical and you would see more of a blackish gradient instead of a solid black object because the shutter curtain moves so fast. Plus the shutter would have to be out of sync which is very difficult because it's electromechanically controlled (100% mechanical shutters used to have sync problems sometimes if spring tension was wrong). It sounds to me like a lens hood problem too, unless there's something wrong with your lens.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Hey mjs, that is one heck of a test you did. and prove it too my friend, ok I got one more problem. What I'm going to do with these two 20d body? cause, I went ahead order a 5d and a 40d and have been shooting it on saturday wedding.

What I'm going to do with these two 20d body?
    You can send one of them to me.

Of course there is always ebay, and don't forget the free classified right here on this site.

If I had an extra body, and the $, I would seriously consider sending it to Life Pixel and have it converted to shoot IR images. You could sell one, and use the $ to have the other converted. Or you could sell one, and send the other one to me, and I could have it converted.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Hey mjs, that is one heck of a test you did. and prove it too my friend, ok I got one more problem. What I'm going to do with these two 20d body? cause, I went ahead order a 5d and a 40d and have been shooting it on saturday wedding.
    Adina might be looking for a deal after her recent trouble.

Glad to find out it was something simple.

Paul

mjs what do you mean by shooting in IR and what is the pro and cons ehh. And photophoruos lets me know if adina want those 20d or maybe you can pass the word. I know for sure one of them got about 25 thousands actuation and the other is about maybe less then 10 thousand .

IR = infrared. Digital cameras have a filter over the sensor to block the infrared light spectrum. By removing this filter, your camera will capture the infrared light spectrum. It will give you a very unique B&W look. Your greens will be bright white. The down side is that once your camera is converted, it will only shoot IR images. Not something I would use all the time, but a lot of fun to play with.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information