Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Should I swap lens.

I have a Nikon D3000 and the 18/55mm VR lens came with it as a kit. Should I swap out the 18/55mm for something else or is it a good over all lens for general pic. taking?

Re: Should I swap lens.

The focal length covers a nice range for general shooting. If it performs well I wouldn't get anything else unless you were going for better performance.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Gacop
    I have a Nikon D3000 and the 18/55mm VR lens came with it as a kit. Should I swap out the 18/55mm for something else or is it a good over all lens for general pic. taking?
    That lens has some good reviews, personally I like the 18-70mm lens but some of these kit lenses do vignette in the corners at the short end of there range.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

I always heartily recommend a 50mm f/1.8, especially if you ever feel like doing portraiture. Its muuch faster than your kit, will offer you much faster shutter speeds and the optical quality is significantly better than your kit also. At ~$110 its a bargain.

I don't know what your shooting style is, but I have yet to meet a photographer who wouldn't benefit (especially at a cost standpoint) from the 50mm's f-stop versatility. Its an awesome focal range too.

*edit - whoops, just realized you are on a D3000, so the 50mm f/1.8 won't have autofocus since they didn't put an AF motor in the D3000. In that case, the 35mm f/1.8 or the 50mm f/1.4 are the best alternatives, not quite as much of a bargain as the 50, but still great prices (I believe the 35mm's hanging around $200 and hte 1.4 around $300)

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

What are you shooting mostly?
    Does the 18-55 have enough range or do you need longer or wider?
    Do you need a faster lens for less than optimal light or better focus options?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Whoops wrong post.

Thread Information