Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Should I get a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom

I have a 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR and I am wondering if I should also get the 70-200mm f2.8G? Does anyone have some insight to help me decide, it's a big investment?
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

Re: Should I get a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom

The difference between the two is night and day. Use the 2.8 for a few days and you'll cringe when you have to go back to the 300.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by shootme
    I have a 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR and I am wondering if I should also get the 70-200mm f2.8G? Does anyone have some insight to help me decide, it's a big investment?
    If you need the f2.8, I guess. Buy 70-200 and sell 70-300

70-300 also has good IQ (stop down to f5.6 at the short end and f8 or f11 at the long end) and is lighter, easier to carry around.

There's a review saying that 70-200 has major vignetting problem if used with FX camera aka D3.

Last time I pondered about getting the 70-200 f2.8 VR, I was thinking about getting a faster lens for indoor sport events. After more thinking, I decided just to get a 85 f1.8 since I also have a 70-300 VR, which I can still use to shoot indoor with ISO3200. 85 f1.8 gives me the speed I need, is very sharp, and is much, much cheaper than 70-200. Also that those indoor events that I shoot, I don't need anywhere near 200mm on a DX camera.

The factors that you need to consider of course could differ.

What is it that the f2.8 lens will do for you that the one you have now won't? There are some pretty obvious answers to this, of course, but how will it help you? It's bigger, heavier, costs a lot more and doesn't have the zoom range. Just playing devil's advocate...

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Also the vr will reduce your need for a fast lens......not always but often.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm swayed to buy, but not convinced yet... If I was to say I'd use the lens to take shots of my friend during competitive car racing and also moving wildlife shots would this make it more compelling to have such a lens?

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    The difference between the two is night and day. Use the 2.8 for a few days and you'll cringe when you have to go back to the 300.
    Thanks for the feedback, I'm swayed to buy, but not convinced yet... If I was to say I'd use the lens to take shots of my friend during competitive car racing and also moving wildlife shots would this make it more compelling to have such a lens?

Just go and buy it. You will convince yourself once you have the lens

A new one may come out soon, too, given the issue it has with D3.

Could you do us a favour and come back with photos shooting under the same situations with both 70-300 and 70-200 for comparison?

Great Idea, I'll do just that. I will get the lens by end May and do some tests then post them. I might come back to you on this if that's OK?

Great Idea, I'll do just that. I will get the lens by end May and do some tests then post them. I might come back to you on this if that's OK?
    Sure, I'm interested to see a direct comparison.

Why don't you look at the 80-200mm Full Frame 2.8 zoom. It doesn't have VR though. It is listed last time I looked between 800-1000 depending on the vendor.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

If you have the D3 don't get the 70-200. If not, it's definitely the choice considering the high speed and large apertures you're going to be shooting for car racing. Plus the bokeh from that lens is incredible.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

I was looking at the 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR and went for the 80-200 f2.8. I guess the 900 dollar difference convinced me that I'll get the nicer one once my photo income can cover it. So far I'm not at all disappointed with 80-200 f2.8. It has a really fast focus and a nice creamy boca when opened up. I've only used it once under low light situation with a monopod I picked up at the same time -- and wow I was catching shots that my 70-300 nikkor never could get.

mbb

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fx101
    If you have the D3 don't get the 70-200.
    The 'issues' the lens has with the D3 are in my opinion way overblown. I've been using the 70-200 with the D3 practically every day for over 4 months and it's really not a big deal for 99% of the shots it'll be used for. If you're doing telephoto landscapes on the D3 with a need for absolute corner to corner sharpness, you probably aren't going to want to use a 70-200 anyways, but in those cases, just don't. For pretty much every other application, the biggest problem I've found is it vignettes wide open more than I'd like.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Quote Originally Posted by mattbikeboy
    I was looking at the 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR and went for the 80-200 f2.8
    I have shot car racing at a local SCCA track with pretty good results (if I do say so myself...) with that non-VR lens. And, this was on a Fuji S2 which wasn't exactly known for it's AF prowess...

What camera are you using? AF-S versions of this lens will focus noticeably faster than this non AF-S lens on some cameras. There is a lens that came out after this one and before the current VR lens, which can be found used for quite a bit less money. But if you're going for that one, you might as well go all the way.

Still, you may not need the focusing speed of the AFS-VR lens but good glass is a pretty good place to put money if your budget allows.

Thank you all for your input. I made the plunge and bought the 70-200mm f2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR zoom for use on my D300. When I receive it in a few weeks I will do some comparitive shots with my Nikon 70-300mm VR and post them.

wannabe

con grates . I just bought a80-200 2.8 on ebay for 400 bucks. Plus the person gave me a 2 week trial to make sure I was happy with it. Cant wait also like you.
    D700
    85mm 1.8 D
    24-70 2.8 ED
    70-200 2.8 ED VRII
    2xSB900
    Elinchrom Ranger RX 1100watt heads.

http://dustindraperphotography.com/

OK I finally got the lens and have now posted a thread in the Help forum on "how should I set up a test between 3 lenses, Nikon - 70-200mm; 70-300mm and an old 70-210mm AF, if you have any suggestions please let me know in the new thread. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    Sure, I'm interested to see a direct comparison.
    OK I finally got the lens and have now posted a thread in the Help forum on "how should I set up a test between 3 lenses, Nikon - 70-200mm; 70-300mm and an old 70-210mm AF, if you have any suggestions please let me know in the new thread. Thanks

Thread Information