Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Sharpening Techniques

I was reading an article recently on wildlife photography and the author made a reference to experienced photographers using advanced sharpening techniques. It was said in reference to taking the photograph not post processing. I am sorry, but the wildlife I take pictures of will not pose for me. Can someone enlighten me as to what he was talking about.

Thanks

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Sharpening Techniques

So they are referring to getting sharper photos in the camera? This comes down to using proper technique. Using a tripod will help, a lens with IS will help if used properly, using proper long lens techniques to reduce camera shake, mirror lock up, choosing the sharpest aperture for your lens will all help to get sharper images at the point of capture. Without reading the article it's hard to say exactly what they are referring to.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Sharpening Techniques

There is software which can make images appear sharper. But it's much better to get a sharp image out of the camera than mess with images after. To get the sharp images, requires basic knowledge of exposure and physics of optics. The depth of field effects is confused with sharpness when telephoto lenses are used and the poor photos taken with a good lens with a slow shutter speed with a telephoto lens, hand held.

I just listed a few problems that can bite you in the behind if you don't understand exposure and basic optics.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information