Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Sensor Cleaning

Sensor Cleaning

I have a Nikon D50 and have been using it for a couple of years. Recently I have noticed some small black dots in all my photos in the exact same place. After some research I found that is caused by dust on the sensor.

Used a small air puffer to attempt to clean it and it removed most of the dust and spots. One tiny piece of dust is left and it won't seem to go away. Please provide me with safe suggestions on how to remove the last bit of dust. Thanks.

Re: Sensor Cleaning

Best way is to use a sensor swab and an alcohol based solution called eclipse. Actually, the company now makes pre-moistened ones. I'd personally buy those. They're called sensor swab plus. The Nikon D50 uses the eclipse version NOT the E2. Sensor swabs are really easy to use and they completely clean the sensor if you follow the instructions. Plus, they have a guarantee.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Quote Originally Posted by fx101
    Best way is to use a sensor swab and an alcohol based solution called eclipse. Actually, the company now makes pre-moistened ones. I'd personally buy those. They're called sensor swab plus. The Nikon D50 uses the eclipse version NOT the E2. Sensor swabs are really easy to use and they completely clean the sensor if you follow the instructions. Plus, they have a guarantee.
    Is it a pretty simple thing to do? I have a Mark III and concerned if it's easy to screw up I will.

Off to google.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Quote Originally Posted by JETA
    Is it a pretty simple thing to do? I have a Mark III and concerned if it's easy to screw up I will.

Off to google.
    Trust me, it's really easy. You just take a swab, moisten it just enough so there's no drip (the premoistened ones make it virtually impossible to drench it), open the camera mirror, swipe it once across the sensor (tilt it a bit so you get the edges) making sure the swipe is from right to left initially (with the swab perpendicular to the motion) then flip the swab and go the other way. It takes about a minute and it cleans better than anything else. I've done it on a friend's Nikon D3 recently and shown him how easy it is.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Quote Originally Posted by fx101
    Trust me, it's really easy. You just take a swab, moisten it just enough so there's no drip (the premoistened ones make it virtually impossible to drench it), open the camera mirror, swipe it once across the sensor (tilt it a bit so you get the edges) making sure the swipe is from right to left initially (with the swab perpendicular to the motion) then flip the swab and go the other way. It takes about a minute and it cleans better than anything else. I've done it on a friend's Nikon D3 recently and shown him how easy it is.
    Thank you for the advice. I am going to take the pludge.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite