Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Sd card problem!!!

Hi,

The thisg is that I bought a SD card over ebay, and as you can imagine it came from Asia. So you can figure it out that it is not working properly, well it does but then all of a sudden , it just says that the sd card can't be reconized, and I cannot see the photos I take, I amen, when I take a picture, it just shows as a cross and cannot see it.

The first time it hapenned, it was at my cousins wedding, and luckyly it was at the beginning, and I formatted the card, and after that there was not a problem.
    The during my trip to New Zealand, I was taking photos, hundreds of them , with no problem... but it happen again... I realized it happenned when I was trying to take a lot of pictures really fast, during a dancing show. So it thought it was because of my fault. I can see all the pictures I took before the show (lucky!) but after that , the sd card ould not store any of them.... i will take them, and then, tere will be crosses only.
    I have to admit that I was taking pictures like a mad woman, maybe I didn't aallow my Nikon D50 time to store tha pictures.....

Does anyone have a solution or a tip???

Thanks anyway for reading!!!!!! i am such a newbie!!!

drg

Re: Sd card problem!!!

1. Reformat the card in the camera every time you use it.

2. Do not fill the card up completely. Change cards before it is full.

3. Verify it is really the capacity it says it is. There's been a rash of cards that have been reprogrammed to look larger than they are so they can be sold for more money. Load the card from you computer with a known quantity of images that takes up 80% of the capacity, i.e. 800M on a 1Gb card, and then remove the card from the computer/card reader, wait a minute or so and plug it back in an make sure that all the images are there.
    If not, you may have bogus card.

First, though I would just be sure to reformat the card "in the camera" every time you use it.

The only other question I have is, what software is showing the cross or is it in the camera? Do you have another card to compare against under similar shooting situations?

Let us know what you find.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Re: Sd card problem!!!

Unfortunately some of the SD Memory Cards being sold on 'evilBay' are bogus imitations.
    While there are some good bargains to be had, sometimes those bargains can come back to haunt you !
    Did you register the product, or is there any sort of manufacturer warranty on your card ?
    They might replace it for shipping costs ! :thumbsup:
    Randy, Gear - 3 in the green, with a T2i and some lenses !

Thread Information