Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

scanner transparency adapters

I've got a Dell 964 all in one printer,no snickering out there! Problem is I own several hundred 35mmslides which I'd like to scan into my 'puter so I can play with 'em.
    So far as tonight I've no response from Dell whether they have an adapter to sell(I don't think they do,but hey you gotta ask). Anyone have any idea if someone makes a generic adapter? Thanks,Steve B.

Re: scanner transparency adapters

I know the Nikon film scanners have a batch scanning accessory, but it's a rather expensive setup. I'm sure you'd have different quality levels that it could be set for (affecting the file size) but once it's set up it pretty much does its thing automatically. I'm not sure if anything else exists, but there's probably another answer somewhere.

I guess one important question is to know what quality of a scan you're looking for. High quality scans with a lot of resolution will take a lot of memory - multiply that by several hundred and you'll easily fill a large hard drive. I'd try to batch scan maybe closer to 1800x1200 pixels which would make a good 4x6 print and then spend more time on the special ones.

Realize that there's a lot more to scan quality than just resolution, so a huge file doesn't necessarily mean that it will be a good file. There's a long learning curve with getting high quality results from film scans to digital prints. I haven't done much of it in awhile but did get nice 8x10's from a fairly inexpensive dedicated film scanner. No batch scanning function, so I used a light box and only spent the time (and a lot of it...) on a very small percentage of my slides.

thanks for your help,perhaps we'll just have to invent something good and cheap to conserve old pieces of history. Steve B.

Quote Originally Posted by conbu19
    I've got a Dell 964 all in one printer,no snickering out there! Problem is I own several hundred 35mmslides which I'd like to scan into my 'puter so I can play with 'em.
    So far as tonight I've no response from Dell whether they have an adapter to sell(I don't think they do,but hey you gotta ask). Anyone have any idea if someone makes a generic adapter? Thanks,Steve B.
    You can purchase a slide scanner for less than $200. It's not that great as far as resolution 1800 DPI. Or you can get extension bellows for your camera and take photos of the slides. At one time I had a set but wife sold it all.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thanks for your help,I just don't know where the graf lines cross on this as far as need versus cost,you may be right buying a baseline scanner might get away with it,these slides are not for a competition just my own history.
    Just to get even, tell the wife I was ready to give you $400 for the extension bellows, but now it's useless.
    Thanks Again, Steve B.
    PS just FYI most of the major scanner mfg don't know anyone who makes a generic film scanner adapter.

Thread Information