Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

resizing pictures

Well I finally was sucessful at uploading some pictures to my
    user gallery (feel free to take a look and tell me what you think)
    the thumbnail turned out o.k., then you click on that its a little bigger &
    that is the right size,but you click on that one for a larger view& it
    is waaaay to big, how do I get that image smaller? I wanted to
    put some of the pictures on the critique forum but I am afraid to, because
    the largest one is to big...........sorry I have to be spoonfed this stuff I am
    kind of a Gomer when it comes to some things thanks............:mad2:

Re: resizing pictures

Looming Presence has some nice angles to it. I think you're probably not downsizing enough, and to post shots in the forums they'll have to be smaller. The limit is 640 x 640 pixels, and a maximum file size of 192k. Most people use about 600 pixels on the long side (600 pixels wide for a horizontal shot), and this should be well under 100k.

What program are you using for editing? I'll give you a step-by-step if I know the program, or will volunteer someone else if I don't.

I am on my computer at work the operating system is windows XP
    I believe but I do not know what the photo editing system is
    how would I go about finding out ? sorry!!!

Editing software for images would be something like a version of Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or possibly many others. If you don't have any of these, try downloading Irfanview - it's very simple, quick and easy and best of all it's free.

After you've downloaded the program, click on the icon that it saved onto your desktop to install it (IT departments may not approve of installing non-work related software so check policies first... ). From there, move the first icon into the recycle bin. Click on the program Icon (again on your desktop unless you told it otherwise). Click File > Open and select an image. Your image should show up at full size on the screen. If it's too big to display, you won't see the whole image. Click Image > Resize/Resample. Near the top left of the window that just opened up, check the box that says "Set New Size". If it's a horizontal shot, set width to 600 (units are "pixels") and if it's a vertical shot set the height to 600 and it will automatically fill in the other dimension as long as "Preserve Aspect Ratio" at the bottom left is checked (it should be).

Leave the stuff on the right where it's at and click OK. You're done! If you ever have a bunch of these to do and they'll all be the same size, there's a batch converter that makes this really easy.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

or download the resizer in windows power toys, open your pic in 'my pictures', right click it and select the resize button you now have. It will automatically do a 640 but you can also use the custom settings.
    good luck.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information