Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Really Need Help!

I know nothing, to speak of, about digital cameras but have been requested to buy one as a gift and it must have at least f16. I can't find anything with f16. I have been looking at cameras like the Fujifilm E900 and Nikon CoolPix P2. Do I need to go way up in price range? Any help will be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Roger

Re: Really Need Help!

One of the best sites to check out cameras and their specifications according to me is www.dpreview.com. Check the cameras' 'Aperture range' for 'f' numbers.

Thanks so much!

I don't think there are any cameras like this that will close down as far as F16. F8 maybe, but that's about all. The sensors are very small, so the focal lengths are tiny (maybe 7-20mm) and f8 will just about give you infinite depth of field. Is there a reason other than DOF that you need f16? If not, you really don't need it.

Great, that's what I need to hear. Thank You!

From what you said: "I have been requested to buy a gift, and it must be f/16" I guess you should consider that maybe the gift is intended for someone knowledgeable about photography, and i'm not so sure a point-and-shoot is the way to go.... a DSLR will have all the possible ranges, but of course will also jumo in price....

On the other hand, if a p&s is what is required, then i dont see any issues with f/16 either... just browse dpreview (which i agree is the best review site) and get the one you need!

Cheers,
    Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Can I suggest you find out what the camera will be used for. Then we can advise you as to the route to take.

Has he already got a SLR or DSLR and wants a new lense and if so what length

If its a compact then what zoom capability is required.

It would be useful to know if this is for landscape, portrait, first camera...

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information