Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: RAW help

RAW help

Hey all, I just started shooting RAW and would like some of the experts input. I'm lost, lost, lost!!!:mad2:
    Im using PSE 5.0/ nikon d80
    Is there anyone who uses PSE5.0 RAW?
    I dont know if I am using i right.
    When it first opens, I can adjust things (temp, W/B etc.). What do I do after that!!!!?
    I hit the "open" tab and it opens it up in editor . When I edit here, what is the difference in capabilities from where i just came from(1st RAW pg.).:idea: Is this still in RAW?
    Also, when I want to save, do I need to change the file format?
    OK now I've confused myself more!:mad2:
    Any help would be appreciated:thumbsup:
    Life's a garden, Dig it. -Joe Dirt

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

The short version...

BB, take a look in the Digital Imaging Forum to find more discussions on RAW files...

Now, I don't use the same software as you, but there are some constants when working with RAW. When you first "mess around" with a file in a RAW editor, you aren't really making any permanent changes to the file itself. You're simply altering the attributes of the file to give it a different appearance.

When you get the image looking the way you like it, there are usually several options. In photoshop RAW, you can OPEN the file, which leaves the RAW editor and opens the image in ps.

If you CANCEL the editor, the file reverts to its original form with your camera default settings.

If you click DONE, the editor closes the file, but saves the changes you made to the various attributes. Next time you open it in the editor it will look the same as you left it.

Or, you can click SAVE, which makes a copy of the file which you can save as either a RAW or a more workable format (PSD, TIFF).

The normal pro workflow is to make your edits in the RAW editor, then save a copy as a PSD or TIFF and use that as your working file. Leave the original alone...

Hope that helps...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: RAW help

Hey, thanks for the help. I think I'm getting the hang of it!!:thumbsup:
    Life's a garden, Dig it. -Joe Dirt

Thread Information