Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Questions from a newbie.

Hello all, I have really obvious questions that aren't so obvious to me. =S

First things first, I have a really simple point and shoot APS film camera. (haha don't make fun.) I'll be taking it to my prom where the light will mostly be dim. I'm sure when we head to the hotel the light will be brighter though..

I've been looking at some of this film available, and I"m not exactly sure what's the best for my situation.

So what's the whole deal with ISO 200 and 400? The 3 films below are the ones available to me:

Is the HD kodak any better than the first one? It has a higher price tag.

It's my understanding ISO 400 is better for dim situations correct? But is 200 more suitable for all occasions? I want my pictures to turn out nice and I'm not sure what to purchase..

And just to be sure - the fill flash button, that's to brighten the flash for an extra dark situation right? I can't find the manual and I can't remember for the love of me what that button does.

Sorry for the horrifyingly newbie questions.
    I appreciate the help!

-edit-
    bugger, did I post in the wrong section? If I did, sorry!

Re: Questions from a newbie.

I'd stick to ISO400 film instead of 200. 400 is twice as sensitive to light - which isn't always a good thing but will help in low light conditions. I can't give you advice on which of these to use, but you might want to check the review section on this site. APS films might not be listed but look under 35mm for a better chance of finding them (same film, different format). Have fun!

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: Questions from a newbie.

For sure go with 400, it's pretty much the film speed I do the most shooting with. Fill Flash is just another work on P&S cameras for flash all the time, I'd keep your flash set for auto so that you don't wash out the faces too much.

APS, you don't see many shooting with that these days. As for Kodak HD, I like it, it does produce a richer colour quality than the regular Max stuff.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Thread Information