Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question for a lense Guru...

Ok here is my situation, I have begun my film camera experience with a Minolta Maxxum 50 and I am really pleased with its pretty good range of functions(for a begginner anyway) and its lightweight. I absolutly love it, but I would like to know if anyone here knows of a better lense that I could buy for it to give me better shots and allow me to zoom in further. For example, ive seen photographers on many forums with grand close up shots of many flowers, insects, and wildlife and I would like to know of a 70-150$ lense that could help improve my skills, thanks for replies

Re: Question for a lense Guru...

First I'm no guru but I have two lens for my camera and they do almost anything I want. I have a 28mm-80mm which is almost a must, and a 80mm-200mm I use for some close ups and medium range zoom....
    Greg

If you want to take macro shots then invest in some tubes to go with the lens you have. You can get some for about $70 or less. I have the Maxxum 70 and I have a Sigma 28-90 and Sigma 70-300mm. I find that the 28-90 rarely leaves my camera. Its fairly sharp if you stop it down to about f/8, but requires a lot of light. Get the 70-300 if you don't have a lot of moeny to spend, and it does have a macro switch that will work if you need a close up in a pinch.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Where did you get your tubes Z?
    Greg

I don't have any yet, I was planning on getting some, but money got tight and never did get any. I know B and H has them, as does Adorama. In our neck of the woods, Clyde's probably has some for Canon out of luck for Minolta.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Thread Information