Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    ivzhao

Question a question about my olympus rangefinder's viewfinder

i just bought a olympus SP rangefinder in a local camera show. now i have a question about the viewfinder.

question: this is the look of the viewfinder. could any body tell me why there are two frames? what does each one mean?

one more thing: there's black button on the bottom of the camrea (opposite to where the shutter button is). what does it do??

thank you very much

Re: a question about my olympus rangefinder's viewfinder

I'm not familiar with that camera, but this website might offer some help. I wonder if that button on the bottom of the camera is the one you push so that you can rewind the film back into the canister after you've shot it.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

I do believe you are right about the bottom button , as that is the way most older manual rewind cameras work.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ivzhao
    i just bought a olympus SP rangefinder in a local camera show. now i have a question about the viewfinder.

question: this is the look of the viewfinder. could any body tell me why there are two frames? what does each one mean?

one more thing: there's black button on the bottom of the camrea (opposite to where the shutter button is). what does it do??

thank you very much

The smaller frame is for close ups so you don't cut the top of the heads off. the viewfinder shows a little different view than lens.

Thread Information