Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Quality of a step up ring?

Is there really that much difference in the quality of these two step up rings? I can just don't want a $50.00 filter rolling into a storm drain becuse I bought a cheaper ring. Have any of you had experiance with the cheaper rings? The $25.00 one is a special order item any ways...
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...14&Submit.y=14

Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: Quality of a step up ring?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Is there really that much difference in the quality of these two step up rings? I can just don't want a $50.00 filter rolling into a storm drain becuse I bought a cheaper ring. Have any of you had experiance with the cheaper rings? The $25.00 one is a special order item any ways...
    Step up rings are pretty much all the same. I used cheap plastic ones for years on all my cameras without a problem.

However... I have heard stories of people who bought cheap step up rings that got stuck on the lens. Of course, even a high-quality ring might do that sometimes. My advice is to go cheap while keeping a warning in the back of your mind.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I use a 58-77mm General Brand step up ring for my filters ($170 polarizer & $105 enhancing & sometimes both at the same time) and I have never worried about them falling off. The step up ring is metal, and feels very solid. I make sure I take my time and get them screwed on properly, then I'm good to go. I would save the extra $, and go with the General Brand.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thanks guys. The cheap one it is. I knew someone on these forums would know. Thanks, Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Yup - general brand, off brand, no problems here... Heck, it could even say Canon on it and be OK.

It's the fit, not the cost that counts here. If the setup ring is lose return it.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

my step up ring is kinda hard to get the threads lined up correct. and then getting it off is tight sometimes to. but i think it might be cause it's alittle bent. but i went with cheap ones.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Try turning it "backwards" until the threads line up. Some lenses I have are harder to attach filters etc to than others and this trick helps.

Thread Information