Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

550ex battery life

I and a friend are both experiencing short battery life and long recycle times in our relatively new 550ex units. Is this something that others experience, if so, how do you deal with it. A Quantum pack was in my far off future, but I feel I might need to move it up on my list. Any other solutions?
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Toon Army Foot Soldier straightarm's Avatar
    I use a couple of sets of rechargeables.

The 550EX is a powerful flash and will therefore run down batteries quickly, especially if each flash is a full energy one.

Simon
    Last edited by straightarm; 05-12-2004 at 09:27 AM. Reason: add name
    Simon, bombadier 1st class

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    but will rechargable cycle as fast as GOOD alkalines IN THE LONG RUN?

I don't want to drop $60 on rechargables if they don't solve my recyling issues
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    but will rechargable cycle as fast as GOOD alkalines IN THE LONG RUN?

I don't want to drop $60 on rechargables if they don't solve my recyling issues
    You would be AMAZED by the improvement that a good set of rechargables provide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Faster cycles AND longer lasting.

I highly recommend some of the maha recharger models that can be bought here:
    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/b...33898&LID=3386

Look at the PowerEx batteries as well.

First off, I've been using 2100 MAH Ni-MH batteries in my SB28 (remember those??) and I'd say they last about 3x as long as alkalines.

Second, check this out: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=164265&is=REG It looks like the same thing as the Nikon SD-8A that I use. With the Nikon, you keep the four AA's in the flash, this holds six more and it plugs into the front. That way you're using a total of 10 AA's with it. Advantage over a Quantum is that it's cheaper, lighter and fits in your pocket. Plus you can rotate the NIMH batteries to something else when not using this pack.

After shooting 300+ frames with this and ISO400 film at f5.6, I still had instant recycling at the end of the night - as in no recycle time.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    First off, I've been using 2100 MAH Ni-MH batteries in my SB28 (remember those??) and I'd say they last about 3x as long as alkalines.

Second, check this out: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=164265&is=REG It looks like the same thing as the Nikon SD-8A that I use. With the Nikon, you keep the four AA's in the flash, this holds six more and it plugs into the front. That way you're using a total of 10 AA's with it. Advantage over a Quantum is that it's cheaper, lighter and fits in your pocket. Plus you can rotate the NIMH batteries to something else when not using this pack.

After shooting 300+ frames with this and ISO400 film at f5.6, I still had instant recycling at the end of the night - as in no recycle time.
    Steve,

thanks for that link, I didn't event hink about that. It may not have the capacity and juice of a Quantum, but it might be a very good, and compatible, alternative.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

One of the things to remember is, most rechargeable batteries are only 1.2v and alkaline batteries are 1.5v so that is part of the problem. I found that with my Canon 550EX flash and found these "Big" batteries that are rechargeable 1.5v batteries and haven't found a problem as of yet. I am thinking of getting the battery pack CP-E2 though sometime in the near future as well.

Thread Information