Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Unhappy Problem with Camera RAW file?

We just got a new 5D camera and have enjoyed using it but lately I've noticed something strange happening to some of the RAW files in the Adobe Bridge. When I first upload the photo seems fine but then when I close the Bridge, come back at a later time there are sometimes 1 or 2 files with color streaking. The best I can describe it is that it reminds me of what would happen if you opened the back and exposed the film on a film camera. (I swear that when I uploaded the picture it was fine). I've never seen it on a JPEG file so I'm thinking this is a RAW problem. Is something wrong with my sensor on the camera for RAW files or is Adobe Bridge or something else causing it to lose data? I uploaded a sample of one of the photos it did it to. I'm a little nervous because we have a wedding we are shooting on Friday and I don't want to have 1/2 the images be screwed up!

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Problem with Camera RAW file?

I didn't know that raw files could get corrupted this way.
    This looks like part of the JPEG information is missing.

When I was using a P&S I was doing it to myself
    I've had files like this when I switched off the camera after taking a photo, but before it had finished writing to the card.

Since I bought the Canon DSLR I've not done it - partly because the Camera is smart enough to ignore me and continue writing to the card Partly because the camera is to fast that it finishes writing before I can mess with it. And partly because it starts up from the touch of a button so quick that I use the 1-minute auto power off and never miss a shot.

In your case, what brand memory cards are you using?
    The 5D is pretty fast at writing to the mamory card, and it may be that your card can't cope writing the large RAW files at high speed. I found that one of my old Lexar 40x cards doesn't work in my 1D and 1DS but does work in my 20D.

Also, do you have the latest Adobe updates for the 5D raw file format?
    I didn't know there was any difference, but the latest download I got for my PS CS2 mentioned a change for the 5D and a few other camera models.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Do you have the last version of Camera Raw? This is very strange...

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Well...

Welcome to the site, apearlb. I can't say why you're having these problems with your image files, but until you figure it out (and as you have important shoots coming up), the first thing you need to do is establish a good and safe workflow.

You say you opened the files in Bridge, then closed Bridge and came back later. Well, before you even go to Bridge the first time with new files, make sure you've copied them to your HD, and also burned them on at least one disc.

If by chance Bridge is causing the file degradation, you'll won't lose anything as you'll have backups of the originals.

When you first open the files in Bridge, make sure you wait for the system cache to load all the thumbnail and meta data before you start to browse and edit any files. Assuming the thumbs all look good in the Bridge browser, now is the time to make copy files, converting RAW into either photoshop's native PSD or TIFF or even a high quality jpeg. These too should be burned to disc.

Hopefully, someone here will figure out a reason for the color shifts. In any event, you should always go into an editing job ASSUMING something may go wrong with any given file, and be sure to back up and archive BEFORE you start...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Check your hard drive and defragment your hard drive.

Window: Us Scandisk, or checkdisk if its a FAT 16 or 32 formated system. You find the programs under: Accessorys - System Tools

Mac has tools also but I'm not a Mac user :-(
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Welcome to the site, apearlb. I can't say why you're having these problems with your image files, but until you figure it out (and as you have important shoots coming up), the first thing you need to do is establish a good and safe workflow.

You say you opened the files in Bridge, then closed Bridge and came back later. Well, before you even go to Bridge the first time with new files, make sure you've copied them to your HD, and also burned them on at least one disc.

If by chance Bridge is causing the file degradation, you'll won't lose anything as you'll have backups of the originals.

When you first open the files in Bridge, make sure you wait for the system cache to load all the thumbnail and meta data before you start to browse and edit any files. Assuming the thumbs all look good in the Bridge browser, now is the time to make copy files, converting RAW into either photoshop's native PSD or TIFF or even a high quality jpeg. These too should be burned to disc.

Hopefully, someone here will figure out a reason for the color shifts. In any event, you should always go into an editing job ASSUMING something may go wrong with any given file, and be sure to back up and archive BEFORE you start...
    As you've described the problem, it looks like the culprit is Adobe Bridge, either writing the RAW file or reading it back. If it was the camera or the CD card then you would see the corruption on first opening the image. If it was your computer system or hard drive then you would have a lot more problems, not just consistent problems with one type of file.

Try reinstalling the Adobe software and make sure that you have the latest version, especially any plug-ins for your camera. If the problem still persists then use some other software to convert your RAW files to something easy like PSD or TIFF and open that in Photoshop.

Personally I only use Photoshop for image manipulation. For the initial image correction of the RAW file I only use the camera manufacturer's software (Nikon in my case). I figure that the manufacturer knows best what goes into the RAW file.

Charles

if you need a backup program for reading the RAW files.. ACDSee pro 8 can now read Raw files as well as Capture One . Although neither of these programs IMHO have the full capabilities of the Bridge they will at least give you an idea of whether or not it IS the Bridge causing the issues.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Thread Information