Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Presentation slide help...

It has been suggested that I might do a presentation later this year to a seniors group on the basics of composition and aimed mainly at those with a Point & Shoot camera as that is what most of them have, so I have been told - and I agreed to do the presentation :blush2: . The reason this topic was suggested is that I have given a couple of presentations to this same group in the past and I always get the question as to "how can I take better pictures" or "how can I make my pictures better". With that in mind, I am preparing something using the KISS principle (Keep It Simple and Straightforward), and one of the subtopics will be - the use of lines in an image...

To that end, I am looking for an image that shows the view that one gets when you look through the viewfinder of your camera. It does not have to be a specific camera, any old digital viewfinder will do as I simply want to use it to illustrate a point, but (there is always a 'but'), I want it to be unencumbered, i.e., I do not want to have to worry about any problems with copyright. If anyone knows of the where abouts of such an image, then I would appreciate receiving that information. I have found a couple on the web, but I have not been able to determine if they are copyrighted and if so who might hold the copyright...so I would like one where I don't have to worry about that sort of stuff. :thumbsup:

Any ideas or thoughts, insight that anyone would care to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

P.S. If anyone has any ideas about how I might capture or make up an image like this, then that information will also be appreciated.
    Never memorize something you can look up. - Albert Einstein

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Presentation slide help...

If they're on the web and not yours, they're copyright, simply by the images being made.
    Although those rights are being eroded over here
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

You should be able to find one on one of those sites that you buy stock photos on.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    If they're on the web and not yours, they're copyright, simply by the images being made.
    Although those rights are being eroded over here
    Thanks,SmartWombat. I have found that, on occasion, there is the odd image that is what is termed freehold, which means that the producer of the image has given carte blanche for anyone to use it as long as they give credit for the source. I suppose that is copyright of sorts, but it is a little more "lenient" from a legal point of view than something that is "copyright" period. I do not wish to infringe on anyone's copyright which is why I posted asking if anyone knew of anything that was available but not copyright in the strict sense of the word.

Regards,

WesternGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    You should be able to find one on one of those sites that you buy stock photos on.
    Thanks Greg...I think I sort of knew that, but this is a volunteer operation with absolutely no budget and so I was hoping to find something that I could use without having to pay or infringing on anyone's copyright. Maybe I will just make something up in PowerPoint - shouldn't be that hard - and then I have it and it's mine to use as I see fit.

Regards,

WesternGuy

WG, have a look at stock xchange (www.sxc.hu). Their standard restrictions (http://www.sxc.hu/help/7_2) specifically allow images to be used in multimedia presentations. Photographers can choose a level of restrictions when they upload an image, up to and including written permission. But the vast majority of images are simply labeled "standard restrictions apply".

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

If this is for educational purposes, you have a right to use copyrighted images for a limited time. We do this all the time for our classes. I forget the name of that law but I learned about it in an education class for high school licencing a few years ago).
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    If this is for educational purposes, you have a right to use copyrighted images for a limited time. We do this all the time for our classes. I forget the name of that law but I learned about it in an education class for high school licencing a few years ago).
    You are correct, it's under far use. I would optimize the presentation for file size and resize the larger image files to the max resolution of the projector, 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 800 pixels are the most common resolutions. If design the presentation to run at a higher resolution the data projector will scale the images, and we are always being called by users saying the projector is out of focus - there have their laptop set at a much higher resolution than the projector and can't read the text (3 pixel high letters :blush2: ). Another problem with the projector down scalling is the saw tooth lines which may appear in the image. It's much easier to correct for if the image is resized and edited on the computer before inserting it in the power point slide show.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

mwfanelli2 and freygr, thanks for the information. It sounds like this is similar to the idea that you can quote small passages from a journal, magazine or a book as long as people recognize it as a quote and you give credit for the quote, e.g., cite the original place where the material appeared...so maybe it will be okay to use an image that I find on the web if it suits my needs and is being used for educational purposes. My use would not be "educational purposes" in the strict sense of the word, but it would in a larger definition of the term - so maybe, just maybe, I will be okay. If not, then I can still build an image of my own using PowerPoint.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Medley
    WG, have a look at stock xchange (www.sxc.hu). Their standard restrictions (http://www.sxc.hu/help/7_2) specifically allow images to be used in multimedia presentations. Photographers can choose a level of restrictions when they upload an image, up to and including written permission. But the vast majority of images are simply labeled "standard restrictions apply".

- Joe U.
    I will definitely have a look at this site. If they have what I need, then it sounds like usage for a one-time presentation should be okay. Thanks for this information.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WesternGuy
    mwfanelli2 and freygr, thanks for the information. It sounds like this is similar to the idea that you can quote small passages from a journal, magazine or a book as long as people recognize it as a quote and you give credit for the quote, e.g., cite the original place where the material appeared...so maybe it will be okay to use an image that I find on the web if it suits my needs and is being used for educational purposes. clip....
    Putting on the WEB without written permissions would not be fare use and cause you legal problems. But, now if it is were your class has to log in to see the presentation it would be OK until the class is over.

The difference is between public display and classroom display, the web is very public.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    Putting on the WEB without written permissions would not be fare use and cause you legal problems. But, now if it is were your class has to log in to see the presentation it would be OK until the class is over.

The difference is between public display and classroom display, the web is very public.
    Well noted...this is a one-time presentation and will never appear on the web...a lot of the images that I will use for "examples" are mine and will not be posted on the web for general consumption, not that I don't mind posting images on the web, it is just a lot of additional work (in addition to slide preparation) that I do not have the time for.

Regards,

WesternGuy

Thread Information