Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: power surge

Unhappy power surge

Every time I try to copy my pictures into my computer I get a message that says"Power surge on Hub Port. A USB devise has exceeded the power limits of its bub port." Then I get a message that says "to enable the port disconnect the hardware and click Reset". I do put it doesn't help. I still meet with the same problem every time. Also I started with an empty camera but can only take one picture before I get a "memory full" message on my camera. I just got the camera for Christmas and really don't know anything about digital cameras. It's a pocket DV 5300 Aiptek. I've emailed the company twice explaining what is happening and I haven't heard anything from them at all. It wasn't a very cheap camera and should perform far better than this.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Re: power surge

Do you have a memory card/SD card?

Quote Originally Posted by kimlarae
    Every time I try to copy my pictures into my computer I get a message that says"Power surge on Hub Port. A USB devise has exceeded the power limits of its bub port." Then I get a message that says "to enable the port disconnect the hardware and click Reset". I do put it doesn't help. I still meet with the same problem every time. Also I started with an empty camera but can only take one picture before I get a "memory full" message on my camera. I just got the camera for Christmas and really don't know anything about digital cameras. It's a pocket DV 5300 Aiptek. I've emailed the company twice explaining what is happening and I haven't heard anything from them at all. It wasn't a very cheap camera and should perform far better than this.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
    Is the hub powered from the computer or it's own power supply? The error message your are getting is the hub and connected items are drawing more current than your computer can supply or if the hub has a power supply then the camera is drawing too much current. You may have to plug in the cameras power supply.

The best way is to use a card reader. Using a card reader is so simple.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by method_X_acting
    Do you have a memory card/SD card?
    no i don't have a memory card yet, i've been getting by on what memory the camera has--about 4-5 photos.

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    Is the hub powered from the computer or it's own power supply? The error message your are getting is the hub and connected items are drawing more current than your computer can supply or if the hub has a power supply then the camera is drawing too much current. You may have to plug in the cameras power supply.

The best way is to use a card reader. Using a card reader is so simple.
    The USB connects to the back of the computer and to the camera Idon't think it has it's own power.

Makw sure the usb port is 2.0 rather than 1.1, Could be the problem.

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kimlarae
    The USB connects to the back of the computer and to the camera Idon't think it has it's own power.
    There are two types of hubs, passive and active. Does the hub itself plug into the wall? If so, it's powered (active) and should work OK. If the hub does not plug into the wall, you are depending on the computer to supply the power which can overload pretty quickly when you go above the normal compliment of USB ports on the computer. Always purchase powered hubs.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Just buy a card reader and connect that to the computer then you won't have a problem. As Micheal said if the computer is supply the power which it sounds like it might be unless you have the camera pluged into the power as well, then it could just be you need a better/higher capacity power supply for the computer.

Thread Information