Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: pollution

Question pollution

A general question.

I sit on digital cameras and some sit around not getting much usage if any.

I know little about cameras except old film cameras did we not have to clean the lenses once and awhile. ? Inside lenses ?

The air does contain pollutants I'd imagine and more in various places.

Not getting into anything about 'health' but smoked filled rooms ?

If the interior of a camera is not sealed...'air sealed'... it is not gonna tarnish up ?

Digital Cameras. (in-expensive ones vs. SLR, etc.) Do people clean interior lenses ?

They seem more like 'disposables' ---buy a new one .....

I think somebody might understand me. If an inside lenses are not cleanable it does not tarnish up with time ?

The purist air probably tarnishes things with time. (don't know)

-- and maybe all digital 'point and shoots' are cleanable ??

Re: pollution

In a dry dusty environment, it is a problem with dust getting onto the sensor. In most cases the dirt on the internal surfaces may reduce contrast and add flare, it really will take allot of internal dirt on in the optical path to degrade the image. Most of the time it will not be noticed.

Dust on the sensor will be noticeable at small apertures and at the telephone end of the zoom, reduced contrast will become noticeable with the lens wide open if there is a dirty lens problem.

The cost of cleaning the PS at least in the US could cost more than the camera in some instances.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

I don't even know how they construct cameras these days. Film cameras even when you put the film in there was one ? lense inside to possibly clean.

Compact Digital Cameras.

One can clean the outside lense but maybe there are no 'inside lenses'.(?)

It does not appear 'compact digital cameras' are made to ever be opened up.

The thought hit me when I started thinking about my little pile of digital cameras.

If corrosion gets into everything..hmmmm A smoke filled room or car will end up with tarnished glass.

When I lived in Los Angeles, California the air could make ones eyes water. Does not get into the interior of a camera. (?)

I'm not on some health campaign here but thinking about my little pile of cameras. Store in a cigar smokers room ? In the middle of campfire smoke when camping. Maybe fuel oil smell from an ocean going ship. City bus ?

I sound like I'm going nuts but --- binoculars ? Inner lenses don't need cleaning after time ??

Again...maybe these small cameras have no 'inner lenses' (?)

First the PS cameras have to be designed to equalize the air presser. The air path way usually has an air filter in it. But dust can get in to the camera through the moving parts of the camera like the lens (if the lens extends from the camera body).

I really don't thing there is a problem. As all cameras even the have a minimum of to lenses (may be glued together), may most likely have two or more groups of lenses for zoom lenses. This does not change for any zoom lenses, and there has not been any reported problems with the DSLR or SLR lenses.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information