Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

polarizing lens...

I recently picked up a polarizing lens filter primarily for photographing trout. I was wondering what other times such a filter might be advantageous? I also got a neutral densiry filter for water shots and would like to know if it would serve in other circumstances. Thanks!
    "You have noticed that truth comes into this world with two faces. One is sad with suffering and the other laughs; but it is the same face, laughing and weeping." ~ Black Elk

Re: polarizing lens...

You will find use for the polarizing filter just about any time you are shooting in a direction 90 degrees from the angle of the sunlight. It will help to remove/reduce relections, many that we are so used to, we don't realize they are their. I find that it gives landscape images a little punch when I use it, and quite often it makes weak, wispy clouds more pronounced in an otherwise boring sky. The ND filter is handy in times when you want a slow shutter speed. Doesn't necessarily need to be a water shot, sometimes to blur action, or in cases where there is simply too much sunlight to make the setting you want work.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Anytime you are shooting over water or wet grass. Polarizers can cause color shifts that have to be corrected. With me it seems to put to much yellow in the greens. A poor quality filter can also cause images to be soft. So be careful.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by trout bum
    I recently picked up a polarizing lens filter primarily for photographing trout. I was wondering what other times such a filter might be advantageous? I also got a neutral densiry filter for water shots and would like to know if it would serve in other circumstances. Thanks!
    Hi TB,
    I love shooting trout with a CIr-PL. I included one of mine below.
    I use a polarizer anytime I am near water. Except cloudy days.
    On sunny days it cuts the glare and intensifies color like no other. It also works well to darken a blue sky.

I would love to see some of your shots.

18" Rainbow Trout, a minnow compared to AK standards...
    Last edited by Singletracklovr; 05-10-2010 at 07:27 AM.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========
    Larger photos always available in my user gallery
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=278310

n8

There's usually a -2 exp factor...or so I hear...so perhaps they can double as ND filters of sorts.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by thecounsel
    There's usually a -2 exp factor...or so I hear...so perhaps they can double as ND filters of sorts.
    Incorrect, the exposure factor on a polarization filter is one stop, which is 50% less light. So if the exposure without the polarizing filter is F8 and 1/500, with the filter it would be F5.6 and 1/500 or F8 and 1/250.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information