Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

A point and shoot with a good shutter speed

Anyone got any idea which point and shoot camera's have a good shutter speeds?

I have a sont DSC-P10 and everyone has to hold very still until the camera has finished shooting.
    Don't get me wrong the cybershot takes great pics but it can miss a moment when shooting toddlers.

My reason...I would love my girls to have access to a good point and shoot if they want to take it to a friends house etc.

My other main want in this camera would be that it has a rechargeable battery like my sony.

I can't remember what camera we are using for Rufus but the pics are looking pretty good. Does that one have a fast shutter and was it a reasonable price?

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: A point and shoot with a good shutter speed

All of these have 1/4000. You'll probably want to skip the first four or five due to price.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp

And all of these have 1/2000 which I'd guess is more what you're looking for and seem to be newer products.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Sounds like you are talking about shutter lag, and not the actual shutter speed. Lag is the time it takes to actually take the photo, once you press the shutter button.

I believe the camera around the world is a Canon A430.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

drg

Allison,

You want something with a a minimal shutter lag as mjs1973 mentioned and perhaps some kind of Image Stabilization or Shake Reduction.

Check the reviews including the Pro Reviews here at PR, including of course mine . In addition to what is the current review (ahem!) of the Fuji FinePix, also check out the Samsung NV10 review and though it is not reviewed here right now, the Samsung NV7 with O.I.S. will take some good photos as well.

The Sony cybershot series with the Steady Shot elminates some of the need to hold the camera 'as still' but I've heard not all models have the best shutter response.

Since you are a Canon user (yeah go rah!!) the controls and menus on the SDxxx Canon and the A-series would probably make you feel right at home.

The shutter lag issue seems to be getting a lot better on the digi-P/S recently. Also check power on time or experience. Some cameras don't turn on as quickly as you are familiar with the dRebel.

The A-series Canons of course can use rechargeables. Do be cautious and check out battery life. There are some good picture takers right now that just go through batteries!

Don't necessarily expect the same level of control with a P/S (though it is available) as with a DSLR. These cameras truly are about what is comfortable in your hand as well as how good an image they will produce.

A reasonable price I'll leave to your discretion. Good luck and let us know what you like.

A link for your research:

http://www.photographyreview.com/sf-...reviewcrx.aspx
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    I have a sont DSC-P10 and everyone has to hold very still until the camera has finished shooting.
    Don't get me wrong the cybershot takes great pics but it can miss a moment when shooting toddlers.
    So probably you don't want a fast shutter speed like 1/4000 then.
    Sounds like you're indoors and want a good high ISO and decent noise performance.
    Plus a fast shutter response rather than waiting a second for the camera to focus, work out the exposure, decide if it's going to flash or not and then eventually after the action's over, take the shot.
    You're looking for low shutter lag, and fast shot-to-shot time I think.
    And if you wnat to take many photos, a decent buffer size.

When you said batteries like your Sony, do you want the same batteries so you can share?
    Or just rechargeable batteries?
    I'm using HYBRIO rechargeable AA cells in my LZ5 and I'm more than happy with ther performance.
    The problem with manufacturer's rechargeables is that every camera uses different batteries, and they're relatively expensive.

BTW I wouldn't recommend the LZ5. too slow to focus, too slow shot to shot, no manual focus, no manual exposure. My old Minolta A2 had manual exposure, manual focus, manual zoom ... but was slow writing to the CF card. Only handled 3 shots and then the buffer was full and it took over a minute to clear.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

Well if I can share the battery that would be cool. I wouldn't have to buy anymore that way. It takes a Li-ion rechargeable battery. On the other hand wouldn't that mean having to buy another cybershot. I am not impressed with the shutter lag that's for sure.

I am using re-chargeable AA batteries in my 430 EX speedlite which I am happy with.
    So maybe that would be an option for a camera.

It's just that my mother-in-law got a compact digital once, I think it was a Fuji, and took it back to the shop the next day because the batteries had drained overnight and she hadn't even used it!!!
    You don't expect batteries to drain when you leave the camera alone.

I am finding this harder than when I was looking for a DSLR.

Bare in mind this is for the kids I don't think hubby will take to buying a £300 cam for the kids lol. The fuji F31fd looks cool but I am also drawn to the Canon Powershot A710 (I know, I know! I'm looking at £200 lol. I can't help it).

Would a Kodak Easyshare be a good option?

Ok, so here are the cams I like the look of:-
    Canon Powershot A710 (like the sound of the IS on this one)
    Canon Powershot A550 (the price is a little more realistic with this one)
    Fuji F31fd
    And I just looked at the Canon A430 too, that looks like a good possibility.

Looks like I am going to have to get some more re-chargeable AA's

I think the best thing for me to do is go into a camera shop and test them out if they let me.
    Last edited by Alison; 04-28-2007 at 07:01 AM.

Thread Information