Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Smile Please help me with my ebay listing for my lenses.....

I have these 3 lenses that I purchased with my Canon A1 that I am selling. I dont know a whole lot about technical stuff so Im not sure what to put in the listing as far as information. I know they will work with Canon FD mount cameras, how do I find out if they are compatible with other brand cameras? Is "FD mount" exclusive to Canon, or are there other FD mount cameras out there.

OR should I just list them with the specifics that I know (what is printed on the lenses for example and their working and cosmetic condition) and just assume that the people looking and bidding will know the difference?

50mm f1:1.4 Canon FD lens

Sigma 80-200mm f3.5/4 zoom

Sigma 28mm f2.8 wide angle

I should also mention I am an ebay power seller, so I know a lot about selling, I just dont know a lot about these lenses. I like to be as informative as possible as it seems to help sales if all the information is out there.

Thanks!!!

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by salamalala
    OR should I just list them with the specifics that I know (what is printed on the lenses for example and their working and cosmetic condition) and just assume that the people looking and bidding will know the difference?
    Hi,

To answer your first question, only Canon SLR bodies from around the late 1970s until the EOS line was introduced used the FD lens mount. Of course, other lens makers marketed lenses for these Canon cameras, but no other camera manufacturer made a body with this mount.

I'm sure I don't need to give you any selling tips for these items, but you should make it clear in your auction copy that only the 50mm is an actual Canon lens while the others are other manufacturers. Still, it is not unethical to put "Canon" in your auction title for all three (if they are in seperate auctions), as folks will use that keyword to search for lenses that fit their Canon bodies.

What you listed for each of the lenses in your post will be basically fine as a title for the auction, and then maybe add a few common sense keywords. For example, I would make sure to include the word ZOOM in the title of the zoom lens auction. Also make sure "FD" is included in each title. People with those cameras generally know what lenses to look for.

What I always do for an item I'm not sure of is to check out other similar auctions on ebay. In fact, if possible, I look at completed auctions that sold and see how that seller worded it. Of course, I'm sure you already know that, too...

Hope this helps...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information