Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Picture Mattes

Question Picture Mattes

I am not sure if this is the right place for this HELP, but if it isn't, then one of the Mods can move it.

Does anyone know of anyway to determine the best colour of matte for a framed photo. I would like to frame some of my (to me at least) better photos. I don't want to just stick them a store-bought black frame and hang them on the wall, so to speak. I would at least like to make them appear to be somewhat artistic.

Someone once told me that you take some of the colour from the picture and use it for the matte colour. I am hoping there might be some rule(s) of thumb :thumbsup: that one could use as necessary.

Any thoughts, insight, etc. that anyone would care to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Picture Mattes

I have only matted a couple of my photos. For one, I did pick a color that was in the photo for the matte. The others, I used a neutral color, such as white, off white, or a light gray color. I think the neutral mattes with a simple black, or wood frame look best.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I also prefer the simple gallery style - white mat and black metal frame. Colored mats and fancy frames can detract from the photograph, but not everyone agrees with that opinion (including my wife who is an interior designer).

If you do go for a colored mat, taking a color from the image is a good way to do it. There are probably a few colors you could use with most images and you can choose one that looks good with the wall color, etc.

My self I like a dark blue almost black mat or a black mat with white core. I also use white and colored, to enhance the colors in the photo.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Try taking the print to be matted to the store and holding it against a number of different colours. You'll be amazed how the colours in the print seem to change according to the colour of the mat. The trick of picking out a colour from the print is probably a good guide - but not infallible. I think it's down to trial and error in the end - and don't forget that the surroundings you intend to display it in will also make a difference! In fact, if your wife's an interior designer I'd leave it to her, she's probably got a very good eye for colour!

Thanks Lena. I actually did that last week. Took the photo to a crafts store and you are right, things look different, particularly under the store's flourescent lights. It also helped give me some ideas about framing. Great idea!!

WesternGuy

Thread Information