Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Photography Course - Help Which one

Hi.

Im looking to improve my photography by going on a course there are so many out there I'm not sure where to look first.

I have been practicing photography for about 3 years and have a basic understanding of ISO, Apeature, compostiotion etc. I have little / almost no photoshop experience due to trying to get the picture perfect with the settings on the camera. I an not sure if I should attend a begginer or an intermidate course as I think I fit somewhere in the middle of the two.

I'm not sure if I should complete and online course, or a course at a college etc. My limit for the cost is £200 including course materials.Ideally a certificated course. Berkshire, south buckinghamshire area

Please have a look at my smug mug page so you can see the leval of pictures that I have been achiving at the moment. www.victoriapaxton.co.uk

Any Suggestion Welcome

Thanks Vickii
    Victoria

http://www.victoriapaxton.co.uk

http://twitter.com/#!/vphotos

I'll Critique yours if you Critique mine

Re: Photography Course - Help Which one

Doing it at the college would be much more helpful than online courses. At my school, they still use film for a lot of the fundamentals classes, and I think learning on film helps instill the right discipline, since you can't be lazy and check your work on the fly, so you need to put more careful thought into the exposure you do each time.

Further - there is no virtue in avoiding processing. Yes, its important to get it how you want straight outta camera, but processing is an important part of even the best photographers work. Ansel Adams used to say that the negative was the score, and the print was the performance. Once the shutters pressed the jobs only half done, editing is not a sin, its a fundamental.

Point being, I think a course on photoshop may be a more prudent means to improving your photography. Better to do both, but if its one or the other - perhaps editing.

Hi Vickii,

Normally, I try not to promote one forum from another, as it's just bad form. But in your case, I think it may help.

Below is a link to the forum of a magazine out of London, called Digital Photographer. Most of the members there are from the UK, and you could probably get a better idea of courses and certificates available in your area.

http://www.dphotographer.co.uk/forum/

Hope it helps you out,

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

double post, not sure why.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

I think the shots on your site look great and would agree with Anbesol that a Photoshop course would really take them up a level. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thanks for the help much appreciated, shall have a look at photoshop
    Victoria

http://www.victoriapaxton.co.uk

http://twitter.com/#!/vphotos

I'll Critique yours if you Critique mine

What software do you use? The right software and a couple of good books will help you a lot. Even if it is a older copy of PS, like PS7. I used it for years. That and a RAW developing program.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Pentax Forum Moderator

Blondie, Although I don't recommend any one course over the other, but my wife and I did the NYIP courses. They really helped define some of the basics that I had missed on my own. Although lacking in some areas, I always had great response when I needed assistance and their critiques were honest and helpful. If you have the stick-to-it-iveness to stay with an online course, NYIP is very affordable and in my opinion was well worth what I spent.

That said, I frequently wished that I would have had on hand experience with a live instructor. There is nothing like live instruction for learning.

Good luck and let us know what you decide...
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information