Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Photo shop 7.0 need help weird stuff going on.

Hello,
    I installed the 7.0 over the weekend. I have 3.1 & 5.0 already

The first thing that is happening is that when I go to a folder in my computor, the thumb nails are very slow to come up. The second thing is not all come up as thumb nails. Some come up as a paper icon w/ a folded corner and the letters PDA (or some thing close to that as I cant see the letters to good) or they come up as a very small thumb nail (1/3 the size of the regular thumb nails) w/ a very poor image. This happens also when I load a Picture CD and want to view the images.

Another thing is when I do get a thumb nail, and click on it, it does not come up as a larger photo. I am taken to photo shop, starting w/ the front page and then into it w/ the photo I whished to view, ready to be whatever changes one makes in PS. I dont want this.

Third thing is when all this junk is going on I can NOT X out. I have to unplug the putor to get out of this mess.

HELP.

What is going on? Some one said that PS 7.0 is not compatable w/ the other two I have(?) Or I should uninstall it and try again.

Is there a default setting in 7.0 where I COMAND IT WHEN TO CoME UP?

Need help

Thanks

Fat Boy

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

One thing that might be going on...

Fb,

One step you take when you install ps (or upgrade) is to view a small window listing many of the common file types on your computer, and checking or unchecking which ones you want assigned to Photoshop and/or Imageready.

By assigning a file type to one of those program, you make PS or IM the default program to not only edit but also VIEW that file type.

You may have passed through this step without carefully looking at your choices, simply choosing the default settings...

IOW, if you checked PS for the file type jpeg, every time you click on a jpeg file name in a folder, it will open that image in photoshop. BTW, changing these setting from what you had before might also change some of the icons associated with those files (substituting adobe icons for windows ones). That would explain the first problem you describe with the folders and icons acting weird.

You can do one of two things. One, reinstall ps 7.0 and pay close attention when that window comes up again. The only file types you want to ALWAYS open in ps would be "native" ones such as PSD and maybe TIFF. Make sure other types, such as jpegs and gifs, are unchecked so they open in programs more suited for them...

Or, you can change the default program for any given file type whenever you want by clicking START>SETTINGS>CONTROL PANEL>FOLDER OPTIONS. On the FOLDER OPTIONS window click on the FILE TYPES tab. You can then scroll down to a file type extension, click on it, and look at the "opens with" box, and click on CHANGE, then reassign the opening program.

IMO, the reinstall would probably be easier...

BTW, I don't know how literal you're being when you say "UNPLUG the puter". You know that's BAD, right? I mean REAL BAD If you're stuck in a progam (can't close the window), ctrl+alt+delete should bring up the Task Mgr so you can get out more graciously...

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy
    Hello,
    I installed the 7.0 over the weekend. I have 3.1 & 5.0 already

The first thing that is happening is that when I go to a folder in my computor, the thumb nails are very slow to come up. The second thing is not all come up as thumb nails. Some come up as a paper icon w/ a folded corner and the letters PDA (or some thing close to that as I cant see the letters to good) or they come up as a very small thumb nail (1/3 the size of the regular thumb nails) w/ a very poor image. This happens also when I load a Picture CD and want to view the images.

Another thing is when I do get a thumb nail, and click on it, it does not come up as a larger photo. I am taken to photo shop, starting w/ the front page and then into it w/ the photo I whished to view, ready to be whatever changes one makes in PS. I dont want this.

Third thing is when all this junk is going on I can NOT X out. I have to unplug the putor to get out of this mess.

HELP.

What is going on? Some one said that PS 7.0 is not compatable w/ the other two I have(?) Or I should uninstall it and try again.

Is there a default setting in 7.0 where I COMAND IT WHEN TO CoME UP?

Need help

Thanks

Fat Boy
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information