Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Photo bags

Photo bags

I have quite a collection of photo bags, but I still haven't found the grail of bags. I recently got back from a weekend in the Wrangell's with everything from steady rain and fog to blazing sun. It's nice to have a variety of gear with you to be able to go on a good day hike to even an overnight jaunt and be able to handle most situations you may get into.

I have been looking for years for a full on backpacking rig for a overnight capability with photo capability. My solution has been to either woefully underpack with a fanny pack or something or over do it with a full backpack rig with no real space for camera gear, so I have to unpack when a photo op comes along.

What have I been looking for?
    A backpack.
    • Waterproof Cover
    • Rugged(cordura)
    • Decent Shoulder Straps/carrying system(comfortable for several hours)
    • Places to lash gear for longer trips outside

With a dedicated padded area for camera gear with easy access:
    • Pro Body 1D, 5D w/grip
    • Pro WA/Short Tele Zoom(28-70 2.8, 24-105 4, etc.)
    • Pro Tele zoom(80-400, 120-400, 100-400, etc.)
    • Couple of Batteries
    • Memory
    • Various Sundries(cleaning supplies, filters, remote shutter release, etc.
    • Nicely organized

With a large space for personal gear:
    • Preferably as large as or larger than the camera compartment
    • Room for jacket, lunch, water bottle(or hydration sleeve)
    • Tarp(possible shelter)

I have like what I've seen from F-Stop gear and Clik Elite. Right now because F-Stop doesn't have the smaller ICUs Clik is in the lead. I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with other gear out there that would serve in this function.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Re: Photo bags

It sounds like the Lowpro Dryzone rover will do everything you are asking...
    http://products.lowepro.com/product/...er,1936,18.htm

I had the original rover for about 15 years. It went to god about a week ago due to an accident with a box cutter :cryin:

shortly after I bought mine they released a version with a built in raincoat, but it looks like the new model is completely waterproof! It has a great harness with spots to hang lens pouches etc off it, but there is no reason you couldn't hang a bedroll tent or pots and pans off it if you want to stretch it for a couple of days although that might mean the top portion is a little bit small.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

n8

I use a lowepro flipside 400, which certainly covers most of your criteria, but the last category would probably depend on how creative you can get with your lashing.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

The Rover looks pretty close to what I am looking for, I think I'll give that one a shot. Still looking at the Clik Elite Probody Sport though. I don't think it would get me through an overnight hike though.

I may be switching gears toward an insert with a dedicated backpack for overnight purposes.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree

I may be switching gears toward an insert with a dedicated backpack for overnight purposes.
    I prefer this method. Quick access is important for those shots that popup along the trail.
    WHen I hike I use a harness type strap and keep the camera ready at all times.
    When I mtn bike I protect the camera a bit more with a lowpro attached to the shoulder straps.

hth
    Last edited by Singletracklovr; 08-10-2010 at 07:49 AM.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========
    Larger photos always available in my user gallery
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=278310

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I have only gone on one overnight hiking trip with my camera gear and at the time, my gear was pretty minimal. A 35mm SLR and 2 kit zoom lenses. My solution was a LowPro TLZ (top load zoom) bag that came with a chest harness. Very similar to what Bob is pictured with. I was able to keep a dedicated backpack with all of my hiking/camping gear on my back, and all of my camera gear on my chest. It worked great but with the amount of camera gear you have listed, I don't see this as a practical option but thought I would mention it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information